Tile Roof Issue Causing Facia to Rot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

510Mike

Reaction score
The issue explains itself if you look at the picture. The way the water runs over the edge causes the facia to get excessively wet as well as stain the stucco on the front of the house. This is the original roof on a 24year old home. Anybody have a solution to this?

EDIT:Meant Fascia in the title, sorry.

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

Last edited:
First off :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Now, what is the purpose of the lead flashing extending over the tile? Did you install this? Is there a broken tile under it?

If the lead sheet would have extended down farther over the rake edge tile, would that solve your problem?

Design flaw abound. There should have been a 12" overhang so any water dripping would have been away from the stucco. Hidden gutter and raised faisia is a far better design. The lead is to cover the mistake the installer did, With the way he tied to the area of the gutter. If they had an overhang, there could have been a notch cut to extend the gutter a few more inches. The lead can be re-configured for the roof water to run into the gutter instead of over the top.

Change any rotten faisia, and then get a sheet metal shop the make a special flashing that will cover the facia under the edge of the tile and incorperate a drip at the bottom and and return under the faisia with a small turn up to hide behind the faisia.

First off :welcome: to House Repair Talk!
Thanks.

Now, what is the purpose of the lead flashing extending over the tile? Did you install this? Is there a broken tile under it?
Not sure, I did not install it, I haven't pulled it up to see what's hiding under it.

If the lead sheet would have extended down farther over the rake edge tile, would that solve your problem?
I don't think so, I think the water from that low spot in the channel needs to drain into the gutter because that low spot channel is still lower the the peak of the rake edge so I don't see how I could get the water over the top of that. Problem with trying to make the gutter is if it misses then it'll end up under the rake edge.

Should I pull it apart more and take some pics?

Don't take it apart just yet, can you get a pic of the top and other side angle?
I'll work on getting some more pics, for now here's a google street view of the arch above the walkway showing how it meets up to the front fascia of the house. Horrible pic but the best I can do at 2100hrs.

Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 9.02.42 PM.png

Design flaw abound. There should have been a 12" overhang so any water dripping would have been away from the stucco. Hidden gutter and raised faisia is a far better design. The lead is to cover the mistake the installer did, With the way he tied to the area of the gutter. If they had an overhang, there could have been a notch cut to extend the gutter a few more inches. The lead can be re-configured for the roof water to run into the gutter instead of over the top.

Change any rotten faisia, and then get a sheet metal shop the make a special flashing that will cover the facia under the edge of the tile and incorperate a drip at the bottom and and return under the faisia with a small turn up to hide behind the faisia.
Thanks for the advice, I was leaning along this route but also not confident since I don't have a lot of experience so I figured I should get online and find some people that do this stuff for a living. What is disturbing is when we moved in I paid a guy to come inspect the roof and correct a few things and now I'm finding out it was money wasted.

Is this the only spot the water is getting on the fasia and stucco? The lead could be re-shaped to dump water in the gutter instead of over it. That would solve most of the water problem.

Back