Heat Pump in SE Texas?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchum Carmex

Reaction score
I live in an older house that features central heat and air: a natural gas furnace from 1984 that the A/C contractor deemed had a leaking exchanger last winter and shut the valve to it. The A/C is from 1994 and starting to have problems cooling.

I am wondering if it would make more financial sense to replace the whole system with a heat pump?

The alternative is to replace the furnace and A/C all at once, but I would be interested in hearing people's opinions about this - especially considering where I live, south of Houston near Galveston.

It gets cold here, but rarely below freezing and if so, not for long. We use some oil filled electric radiators when it gets that cold, but not so often.

Any thoughts?

I am not trying to be cheap, just wanting to spend my money wisely since a replacement is long overdue and I want to make sure I do this correctly.

Thanks,

Steve

Welcome Steve:
You are in a unique position to use a heat pump to the maximum. I would not even have a supplemental heat coil on a heat pump at your house.
I would recommend a Goodman (Janitrol) heat pump for you; they are made in Texas and are a privately owned company, which holds the cost down considerably.
Glenn

Welcome Steve:
You are in a unique position to use a heat pump to the maximum. I would not even have a supplemental heat coil on a heat pump at your house.
I would recommend a Goodman (Janitrol) heat pump for you; they are made in Texas and are a privately owned company, which holds the cost down considerably.
Glenn

Excellent, armed with this information I will be calling three local contractors and starting the bid process. I will update with information about how it goes!

Latest posts

Back