dishwasher/disposal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floatr

Reaction score
I currently have a dishwasher that has a dedicates 20 amp circuit and is a plug in and wanted to know if I can also set up disposal,1/3 HP plug in,w reset, to the other side of dedicated duplex receptacle .should it be set up where they can only be run one at a time?also does it have to be GFCI,or soon will be required?
Any info is appreciated

Yes, they can share the circuit. No, you don't have to isolate them. No, GFI is not required.

Thanks,if the distance for the plug is 4 ft and a few inches from disposal will i have to move recepticle closer ?

Thanks,if the distance for the plug is 4 ft and a few inches from disposal will i have to move recepticle closer ?

If the cord is less than 4' few", then something is going to have to give.
Either move the outlet closer or get a longer cord.

Well, disposal cords are supposed to be 18-36", so yeah, something's gotta change.
If it were a few inches off total I wouldn't worry about it, but a foot plus a few inches you need to fix.

Thanks ,I got the outlet moved so as to be close enough to both .since I wanted to use a wall switch for the plug in disposal will i need to break the tab on the hot side of outlet, disposal swichlooped to switch, an pigtail it so incoming hot goes to both dishwasher and switch?
Neutral will just go directly to silver on outlet.green screw ground.
Will they be able to both be on or is it single use.
Any info is appreciated

Let me check..the disposal is a 1/3 HP..what would that pull?
I'll check dishwasher tommorow to see if its 50% of circuit ,combined w amps off disposal.
Isn't there a way to set it up where only one side of recepticle can be used at a time where as they both can share if used seperately?

Last edited:
Especially at only 1/3hp you are FINE.
You also do not need any kind of interlock. If you don't want them to be run at the same time, just don't turn on the disp while the DW is running. It's not like it's gonna turn itself on.

Back