Cold Rooms

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user1234

Reaction score
I'm really at a loss as to what to do now.. so any ideas would be great!

We moved into our house last year and found that the two front bedrooms were extremely cold during the winter. We keep the doors closed which made the problem very obvious. These rooms are over a cantilever, so we assumed that was the problem. In the spring we opened it up, found that the vapour barrier had numerous slits in it, fixed them, re-insulated very well and felt that the problem had been solved. But with the cold weather, it is clear that nothing has changed.

We have tested the air flow into the room and out of the room and it appears to be good.

We bought a temperature probe and found that the coldest area is along the ceiling next to the outside wall (some spots 10'C/50F).

Is this a problem with insulation in that area in the atic or with wind blocking in the soffit or something altogether different. I just don't picture it being the atic insulation since the rooms on the other side of the house have a ceiling that is warmer than room temperature and the slope on both sides of the house is the same.

It could be anything. Holes drilled for electrical, even the holes for baseboard pipes through the floor show up on my infrared.

Check your attic insulation for windwashing at the eves. This happens when winds blow the insulation away from the most important are of the attic, right where you get ice damming at the outside wall and roof area.

Seal any holes you find in walls in the attic, insulate around outlets on outside walls and use the outlet gaskets, they help to slow down the breeze.

Check your window and door insulation and weatherstripping.
And in my opinion, you do not need a blower door test, it's a waste of $$.

Air leaks are easy to find this time of year, open an upstairs window or the attic hatch that may not be insulated, and you will feel the makeup cold air comming through in any downstairs leaking areas.

Could be any one of these or all combined to make a few rooms cold.

Good luck.

Is the ceiling on the outside wall over the cantilever? I hope you didn't install fiberglass batt insulation in the exterior wall. What type of attic insulation?

Gary

Is the ceiling on the outside wall over the cantilever? I hope you didn't install fiberglass batt insulation in the exterior wall. What type of attic insulation?

Gary

The ceiling on the outside wall is over the cantilever. We only replaced the insulation in the cantilever - it was fiberglass batt and we replaced it with rigid foam and spray foamed any gaps.
The attic insulation is blown insulation.

Latest posts

Back