Damaged window sill (drywall + corner beads)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drw158

Reaction score
I have a severly damaged window sill that is made of just drywall and metal corner beads. I've read a lot about repairing vertical drywall corners, but this is a little bit different. If you look at the attached image, the corner bead is horizontal. The problem is that when I press on the wall side of the corner bead with my finger I can tell that there is nothing behind it! it's just feels like an empty cavity. I would normally just apply some joint compound on top, but I figured that if there is nothing behind the corner bead to support it, then it will crack very easily.

Any idea on how to fill the inside, behind the corner bead? It would be best to completely redo the sill, but we will probably replace the window in a couple years and I'd like to keep it simple.

IMG_1181e.jpg

I would remove the bead and drywall all around the window and if there is no rot to deal with , replace with wood and finish with a wood trim.. Drywall around a window is never a great idea.

There something behind that metal corner bead.
Just add a couple of drywall nails, scrape off anything that's loose and remud.
I agree wood trim looks better, do this one and you'd have to redo all the windows.

Back