Washer shakes like a @#$%^&

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakuda

Reaction score
I cannot complain too much, since I got the unit for free, but I have a Frigidaire front loading washer. It works great, but in the spin cycle it shakes a LOT. I mean tons. It is level. Any ideas on a fix for this? Is this normal for the front loaders?

No, that kind of shaking is not normal. There is a balancing mechanism that is not working for some reason. Front loaders usually start the spin, coast down some, and then go for the top rpms. We have an LG front loader that says it spins at 1500 rpm and there is very little vibration from it.
Top loaders also have the counter-balance mechanism to compensate for unequal loading of the tub; a front loader is always unequally loaded so it takes a more sofisticated balance.
I would take the back off and look for some metal weights that can be moved around; and, if they don't move freely, I would put a drop of oil on any part that looks like it moves against something else working it in as I go. Then, fire it up and try again. Please post back and let us know how it goes.
Glenn

THe model # is FWT647GHS0, and it is on a wooden floor.

I just slid it out, took off the back, and saw nothing that resembled balancing weights. I put it back together, slid it back, rechecked level and ran a smallload through.

The vibration/shaking is still pretty substantial.

and it is on a wooden floor

Maybe not easy, but a quick test is to try the washer on a cement floor, if ok the wood floor may be too weak.....front load washers genereally do not do well on wood or second ( main ) floor laundry rooms.

jeff.

Only cement surface I have is the back patio, or the detached garage. I am kinda stuck with this location. I am on a 4' dirt crawl.

Would a rubber mat (fairly thick) be a reasonable solution? I can head to Farm and Fleet and find something, I am sure.

Is this a new unit? Was the shipping bolt ever removed?

Only cement surface I have is the back patio, or the detached garage

If you can get it there, try a spin with some damp towels ( put the drain hose in a bucket ) to see how it acts.

Would a rubber mat (fairly thick) be a reasonable solution?

May help and is probably worth trying.

jeff.

Back