Value of Natural Stone

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granite-girl

Reaction score
If you're remodeling your existing home or building a new house, natural stones offer a unique value and return on investment that you can take to the bank. See what others are saying about natural stones like marble and granite:

Natural stone is a key part of two of the top 10 elements of design in the home that are resonating with today's buyers: the desire for low-maintenance/no-maintenance materials and the use of natural materials inside and outside the home.

— Builder Magazine/National Association of Home Builders

Homeowners who remodel recover the following percentages of their remodeling costs at resale (note: upscale projects include stone):

Bathroom remodel-upscale: 92.6%
Bathroom addition-upscale: 84.3%
Kitchen remodel-upscale: 79.6%

— 2003 Cost vs. Value Report, Remodeling Magazine

In a study of materials for kitchen countertops, granite had the highest number of "excellent" ratings of any surface.

G-G, do you think natural stone is something more than just a fad? Will it be as fashionable 10 years from now as it is today? What I'm asking is will my laminate counter tops and bell bottom jeans come back in vogue?

Seriously, which natural stone is the best for a kitchen counter top. We will be remodeling the kitchen next year and are starting to plan now.

Natural stone offers many benefits as compared to other product constructing materials. Its also financially beneficial in the long run.

If you're remodeling your existing home or building a new house, natural stones offer a unique value and return on investment that you can take to the bank. See what others are saying about natural stones like marble.................

Granitegirl, thanks for your unbiased assessment....:D

Oldog-
Bell bottoms are back in vogue...... Don't you have yours yet ?
No really- Granite would be your best choice for kitchen counters. Marble is too soft & pourous. Soapstone is another option, but is etches somewhat & can leave watermarks & you have to re-oil it quite often. There may ba a few other choices, like limestone, concrete, but I imagine there's alot of maintenance there also. Plus $$$$$
Once granite is sealed after installation there 's virtually no maintenance, you can cut on it (it'll dull your knives), put hot pans out of the oven, it is stain resistent w/ the sealer, nothing will penetrate that. It just needs to b resealed every couple of years maybe not for 10 years, fepending on the sealer. The popularity & availabilty of granite in recent years has risen greatly. Therefore the price of granite has gone down significantly. But the value is still there, because of the natural beauty & durabilty , granite will not only last forever, but look great and stay classic & fashionable for years & years.

Natural stone veneer is the perfect finishing touch! Natural stone reflects an upscale look to any home, as well as adding tremendous value to your real estate. Natural stone flooring offers a truly unique solution that will provide you a beautiful aspect to your home that will last a lifetime.

Best Regards,

Nature stone houses are really very strong as other product constructing materials. I like natural stone houses. But the values of Nature stone are decrease day by day. Most of people prefer to build their home with other product constructing materials.

How about Corean countertops? they kind of look nice too? and less expensive than granite? My actual kitchen has granite, I use a special spray to clean them everyday! so they can look shiny and nice, specially close to the sink? where a lot of water action happens? They get kind of dull in color. Do you think the granite wasn't sealed? or maybe is just the usual ware and tear? I am in the process of buying an island for my kitchen and I think it has to be granite to match the exiting countertops...agggg more polishng!

Back