Hi, I'm John the Juggler

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John the Juggler

Reaction score
We're having a new home built. I hope it's legal to ask about that. The basement was poured and floor joists and flooring put on. It snowed 13". I shoveled that off and it melted. No water in the basement. Never had any water. The roof was put on. Then a week ago Sunday it rained about an inch. Our builder said Tuesday there was no water in the basement. On Friday there was lot of water in the basement which had come into the sump pit thru the drain tiles. I pumped it out and cleaned it all up. The next day there was about a foot of water in the pit. I pumped it out and the next day another foot. After no rain for a week. The only change was the ground had froze. Frozen? Whatever. Our builder isn't concerned and doesn't think we even need a sump pump. We have a lot of clay in our soil, and we will definitely put in a pump, but why did we get so much water several days after the rain? Could the frost have pushed the rain water down and into the drain tile? Will landscaping and rain gutters help so much that the pump won't really be needed? We want to finish off the basement. Any ideas why this happened?

Welcome to the Forum, John:
Water takes its good ol easy time to soak through the ground. In your case, yes, I do believe you had some frozen water in the ground which thawed out later and seeped on through. I would not consider a basement without a sump pump unless it had a walk-out side and natrual drainage from there. The price of the pump will be pennies compared to 2' of water in a finished basement. Let us know how it works out, and maybe a picture or two.
Glenn

Basements and pumps aren't my field...:D

Just would like to welcome you to the forum!
:)

Back