Tub Drain rusted through

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottodo1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I went to do something really easy and when I removed my tub drain to install a new one as the push button apparatus has broken in the old one I realized my drain was very rusted. I do have a water softener. Instead of using the normal pliers and wrench method I bought the dumb tool so it would get pressure on all 4 spokes. I put the screw driver in, went to turn and snap, the spokes broke.... How do I get this out now? If I can't maybe it will rust out all the way in another years and in the mean time the drain will run faster? This is also just 2 years old... Why would it do this in 2 years?

IMG_20141010_194715941.jpg

Last edited:
WOW well this thing was awful... how does a brand new tub drain rust this badly in 2 years? I bought the drain key, and while it did work, the drain broke in half so the top half came out but the bottom half was still in the drain, luckily the tub drain reached just far enough I could get it down to the 2nd half and got that out as well.... I just I installed it 2 years ago and now it's this bad?

They sell this clear coat spray that I've been putting on EVERYTHING that touches water here, I hope that helps this one last longer...

Back