Tips for saving money when hiring an electrician?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed the panel cover yesterday, here are the photos.

Last edited:
I think the electrician is buying a new BMW with your checkbook! Some of this work you can do (I assume) to save major money and the rest might require help. The guy you got saw dollar signs ... get somebody more realistic. Maybe a licensed and insured handyman would be acceptable and cost much less?

1. Install an outlet, on a new circuit, directly under the breaker panel in the office. - $225
Really? He is going to pull a whole new circuit to your panel, through the walls and repair the wall damage for this? Doubtful.

2. Install a new outlet in the office closet, directly behind a bedroom outlet, on the same circuit. - $175 Really? Essentially back-to-back, one old work box cut-in and some simple ROMEX wiring, no wall damage?

3. Install a new outlet in the bedroom closet, directly behind a living room outlet, on the same circuit. - $175 See #2 above

4. Install a new outlet in the bedroom, 3 feet above an existing outlet, same circuit. - $200
This one REALLY frosts me. All he has to do is cut-in for an old work box, drop his ROMEX 3 feet and make the connections ... for $200? You have to be kidding!

5. Install a new outlet in the living room closet and eye level on the wall next to the closet, new circuit (this is the only new pull). - $750 So, if this one costs $750, why does #1 only cost $250? Something wrong here!

6. Install five can lights in the kitchen, four can lights in the living room, and one can light in the hall, wired to existing switches/circuits, with attic access. - $3125 I hate to seem like a broken record, but this is where he gets the BMW down payment. With attic access, this is a one-day job at best for a skilled guy.

7. Move CATV jack to living room closet, run HDMI from living room wall to living room closet. - $450 More of the same. He will identify the CATV line (hope it is CAT 6), split it in the attic, and drop it into the closet into a low volt old work box. All he needs is the termination tool. Better run two HDMI sets from the closet to the TV box ... they can fail and running a new one after the fact sucks. I always run them in pairs to be sure.

BMW.jpg

I think the electrician is buying a new BMW with your checkbook! Some of this work you can do (I assume) to save major money and the rest might require help. The guy you got saw dollar signs ... get somebody more realistic. Maybe a licensed and insured handyman would be acceptable and cost much less?

1. Install an outlet, on a new circuit, directly under the breaker panel in the office. - $225
Really? He is going to pull a whole new circuit to your panel, through the walls and repair the wall damage for this? Doubtful.

2. Install a new outlet in the office closet, directly behind a bedroom outlet, on the same circuit. - $175 Really? Essentially back-to-back, one old work box cut-in and some simple ROMEX wiring, no wall damage?

3. Install a new outlet in the bedroom closet, directly behind a living room outlet, on the same circuit. - $175 See #2 above

4. Install a new outlet in the bedroom, 3 feet above an existing outlet, same circuit. - $200
This one REALLY frosts me. All he has to do is cut-in for an old work box, drop his ROMEX 3 feet and make the connections ... for $200? You have to be kidding!

5. Install a new outlet in the living room closet and eye level on the wall next to the closet, new circuit (this is the only new pull). - $750 So, if this one costs $750, why does #1 only cost $250? Something wrong here!

6. Install five can lights in the kitchen, four can lights in the living room, and one can light in the hall, wired to existing switches/circuits, with attic access. - $3125 I hate to seem like a broken record, but this is where he gets the BMW down payment. With attic access, this is a one-day job at best for a skilled guy.

7. Move CATV jack to living room closet, run HDMI from living room wall to living room closet. - $450 More of the same. He will identify the CATV line (hope it is CAT 6), split it in the attic, and drop it into the closet into a low volt old work box. All he needs is the termination tool. Better run two HDMI sets from the closet to the TV box ... they can fail and running a new one after the fact sucks. I always run them in pairs to be sure.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post :rofl:

I didn't realize it, but one of my uncles was an electrician apprentice for a while. He volunteered to help out, so I've revised my lists :)

Electrician List
1. Inspect breaker box.
2. Install 5 dimmable can lights in kitchen.
3. Install 4 dimmable can lights in living room.
4. Install 1 dimmable can light in hall.
5. Install outlet in living room closet, separate circuit.
6. Re-wire office outlets to separate circuit.
7. Quote wiring bedroom outlets to light switch.

DIY Electrical List
1. Install outlet above existing bedroom outlet, for bedroom TV.
2. Install outlet in office closet, behind existing outlet.
3. Install outlet in bedroom closet, behind existing outlet.
4. Install PowerBridge, from living room closet to living room wall.

DIY Low Voltage List
1. Install power bridge from living room wall to AV closet.
2. Install HDMI panel in living room closet and behind living room TV.
3. Relocate CATV jack to living room closet.

HVAC List
1. Replace bathroom exhaust fan.
2. Quote adding fan to living room closet.

I have 4-5 more estimates coming up in the next two weeks, the first being tomorrow. Can't wait to see how they compare.

Nothing like Family to help set things on fire, I mean help with electrical work :D! I think you're in good shape though. I think your list has gotten bigger since the last posting, it's funny how that happens.

Nothing like Family to help set things on fire, I mean help with electrical work :D! I think you're in good shape though. I think your list has gotten bigger since the last posting, it's funny how that happens.

Heh I'm sure that's true!

I've shuffled a few things around, and eliminated much of the low voltage work for now. The more I learn about this stuff, the more I realize much of it I can do myself.

I just had my second guy come out for an estimate, though I won't know what it is for a day or two. He pretty much said the same things as the first guy as far as how they'd go about doing the work.

The one thing he mentioned is that it'd be easier for them to punch the new can lights through the ceiling from below, rather than installing them from above. Wouldn't this take longer?

I received a few more quotes, two of which I feel are much closer to what I was thinking. I'm leaning toward this company. They're not the cheapest, but like I said, price is only one factor in all of this.

Here's the quote, what do you think?

Breaker Panel Improvements: 270.00
Remove the old circuit breakers from the existing Square D QO style panel located in the bedroom.
Replace with modern circuit breakers for the best circuit protection.
Relocate the two single breakers that are in the mains section of the panel. Install a two pole breaker to
replace it for code compliance.
Electrician: 1X2p20,2X1p15,1X2p503X2p30,1X2p40
Provide tighten and torque of the breakers and grounding/neutral connections within the breaker panel.

Whole System Surge Suppressor - Recommended Option (QO style with two 15a twins required.): 200.00
Install a surge suppression device to protect an investment in your electronic equipment and appliances
including computers, DVRs, televisions, LED lighting,
audio equipment, video games, portable device chargers, laundry equipment, heating and air conditioning
systems, kitchen appliances and more.

Dedicated Circuit For A/V: 190.00
Install a dedicated 120 volt grounded circuit and a duplex receptacle to serve the upper shelf area of the
small closet in the living room.
As the circuit breaker panel is full, this will require a twin breaker.

Living Room Recessed LED Lighting: 735.00
Provide and install four recessed light fixtures (see notes below) to serve the living room.
Provide connections to the existing wall switch location. The wall switch currently serves a duplex wall receptacle.
Replace the wall switch with a white Lutron Maestro dimmer switch.

Kitchen Recessed LED Lighting: 960.00
Provide and install three recessed light fixtures (see notes below) to serve the kitchen.
Provide and install two recessed light fixtures (see notes below) to serve the kitchen island.
Disconnect the existing pair of kitchen ceiling light fixtures and prepare the openings for sheetrock repair by others.
Provide connections to the two existing wall switch locations for each of the two groups of recessed lighting.
Replace the wall switches (2) with white Lutron Maestro dimmer switches.

Hallway Recessed LED Lighting: 170.00
Remove the existing ceiling light fixture from the central hallway.
Provide and install one recessed light fixture (see notes below) to replace the existing light fixture.
Provide connections to the existing switch location for the new recessed fixture.
The existing white toggle switch will remain at this location.

Permit: 95.00
Provide an electrical permit for the scope of work as described.

Notes:
"Recessed light fixtures" are 6" diameter. Each with an energy efficient dimmable LED module with regressed lens and white trim ring.
We are careful not to disturb the existing sheetrock and/or plaster. Sometimes those surfaces are disturbed during our work. Repairs are not included.
It is presumed that the attic is clear of obstructions and offers access to the areas required for the installations as described.

Total: $2620

The notes on the can lights should include language about heat rating for the insulation that has to be placed over them, I think

Latest posts

Back