Why does my pool remain green after multiple shock treatments?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is a cartridge filter. That's why I can't understand what the blue hose is for. Normally they put the hose on backwash filters and you don't have one.

You have killed the algae (several times) now you have to remove the little dead algae bodies that can't be trapped out anymore by your already over loaded cartridge filter. It shouldn't take more than an hour (and probably much less time) to clog the filter again. This means you pull it out, blow it off with a hose, put it back, run the pump, pull it back out, wash it off with a hose put it back. You get the idea, it will plug up rather quickly and you have to keep cleaning it until all the algae is removed.

I agree SB. That blue hose is normally for a DE backwash. I wonder if they replaced the DE for a cartridge filter, but didn't remove the backwash valve?

The pool store said to get it chlorinated first, then worry about stabilizers, etc.

I agree, but 30 gallons? Seems he would be talking about quarts. I don't understand how he could use that number but if they said so, who am I to argue? Speedbump is also correct about cleaning out that filter often to get rid of the algae which is dying or dead.

I agree, but 30 gallons? Seems he would be talking about quarts. I don't understand how he could use that number but if they said so, who am I to argue? Speedbump is also correct about cleaning out that filter often to get rid of the algae which is dying or dead.

They looked up the size of my pool, tested the water, and I described the greenness. Strangely, even though the water is green to look at, it was clear in the bottle.

I cleaned the filter and will continue to do so regularly.

I would really like to know what the different valve positions are. I think one is backflow for when this used to be a DE filter? I have no idea about the valve on the pump.

Yes, it is a cartridge filter. That's why I can't understand what the blue hose is for. Normally they put the hose on backwash filters and you don't have one.

You have killed the algae (several times) now you have to remove the little dead algae bodies that can't be trapped out anymore by your already over loaded cartridge filter. It shouldn't take more than an hour (and probably much less time) to clog the filter again. This means you pull it out, blow it off with a hose, put it back, run the pump, pull it back out, wash it off with a hose put it back. You get the idea, it will plug up rather quickly and you have to keep cleaning it until all the algae is removed.

He told me to run the pump for at least 24 hours after the chlorine was added.

But I'll clean the filter again after that.

Can you get a pic shooting down from the top of the pump, then one higher up for a better perspective?

good grief, man---stop-stop-stop wasting your money and send it to me instead. Check the water level in your ground water the way I suggested in a previous reply, drain the water, thoroughly clean the pool as has been suggested by someone else, making sure to scrub the walls of the pool ( I think the green color you are seeing isn't algae in suspension in the water, but is the algae stuck to the pools sides ), clean the filter and cartridges (or replace them ) then when its clean, refill the pool, adjust the PH and chlorine level using the pool test kit
Regarding the ground water level, you may have to wait until it goes below 4 ft from the surface, depending on how much rain the storm affected you.

Yes, you should vacuum the pool before adding any more shock. if I am guessing correctly, you can bypass the filter and vacuum "to waste". The vacuumed water should be pumped out through the blue backwash hose. This will save you some of the effort of cleaning the filter repeatedly. The added benefit of this would be to lower the water level in your pool, which you can replace with clean water....therefore lowering the chlorine load which you have right now. I don't think you have to drain the pool completely, but if you do this routine a few times, you will be essentially changing the water. If you have a pressure gauge on your filter, you can monitor how dirty your filter is getting by watching for the increase in pressure (pressure increases as the filter works harder because it is blocked by dirt). AFTER YOU HAVE VACUUMED THOUROUGHLY, add the shock.
Did you mention if your have a concrete pool or a vinyl liner?

Can someone explain the parts of my pool system to me?

What are the two pipes going into the pump? I realize it's water from the pool, but why two? There's only one skimmer.

What is the purpose of the blue hose in between the pump and the filter?

There are two pipes exiting the filter. I'm assuming one goes to each inlet because there are two inlets.
You will have to confirm the guesses i make here with a couple of experiments.
Havasu explained pretty well- you have one skimmer and (most likely) a floor drain in the deep end. each has it's own line going to the pump. There is a valve at that point; it is most likely a three-way or four-way valve. By turning it one way, you are only pulling water from the skimmer, turn it the other way and you only draw from the floor drain. The third position is the mixed position and if there is a fourth, it will probably close both lines. You can test this by moving the handle on the valve and seeing what happens at the pool. It is easy to see if the skimmer stops drawing water... or if no water is entering the pump (both lines closed).
Between the pump and filter is another valve. Turn it one way and the filter is getting the flow; turn it the other way and the backwash hose should be flowing. There may be other positions on that one also.
After the filter, there are two pipes returning to the pool. Each has it's own valve. They will be feeding the "returns" on the side wall of the pool. There are probably two returns (jets or eyeballs or what ever you want to call them) but there may be more if they share the lines. You can close each of those valves and see which returns they control.

Thanks SNS. If i wasnt so lazy, i would have typed.the exact text.

They looked up the size of my pool, tested the water, and I described the greenness. Strangely, even though the water is green to look at, it was clear in the bottle.

Did they test for metals? If your water is green, but clear, you could have a metal problem.

Did they test your CYA (conditioner) level?

I would recommend reading some of these articles to learn how to take care of your pool: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/186-show-all_1

Having a pool is a lot of work unfortunately, but once you know how to take care of it and understand water chemistry, it becomes much easier. You could also have the pool filled in as another option. When we bought our house, our choice was to fix the pool or fill it in. It was actually more money to fill it in, so we opted to keep it and fix it. We've really enjoyed the pool over the years, but it does need regular upkeep.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

Back