Remodeling Bathroom...where to buy????

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, i am in the process of finishing up our basement and doinf a full bath downstaors, we are definetly on a tight budget and i was wondering if anyone knew of where to buy the vanities and toilet and faucets and corners shower...and so on at a decent price. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

Look online to see if you have a habitat for humanity outlet in your community. We have a couple here in Denver area that get quite a lot of stuff. Even new items (big builders are who I assume donate batches of extra fixtures, toilets, grout, tile, paint, etc.)

Check around, you'll probably find something close by.

You will likely have to buy a lot of your stuff from traditional suppliers, but you might get lucky and get a few bargains on some of the big ticket items. Also you can probably get lots of the $2-$20 items for under $5

Welcome to the Forum RemodelingDiva:
The guys ahead of me have some good leads for you. You might also shop the used and salvaged shops; maybe find a whole antique bath set. Then some faucets from the big box stores and put a half gallon milk jug, full of water in the tank on the watercloset (commode, potty) to save water; the shower should have a 'scald-proof' valve.
Stay with us, we have several professionals on here to answer your questions and help you every step of the way.
Glenn

Thank you everyone!, i will def need help, i am a first time homebuyer and trying to renovate on a budget so appreciate it!

No, the antique toilet can not meet the new federal code that requires flushing with 1.6 gallons of water. We can displace water in the tank like I said but the trap is too small to allow the solids to pass with the smaller amount of water. The low volume toilets also use a water-jet to boost the solids out, whereas the older ones used a swirling flood to float it out. If the plumbing is going to be inspected I wold not recommend an antique toilet at all. See the ones at the big box stores or plumbing supply house; all the major brands have retro designs that will closely match the other antique fixtures.
Glenn

Good comment glenn,

We've had the utility company offer rebates if you install new low flow toilets. However you have to have someone come confirm that you did in-fact replace an old water hog toilet. While they are there, they also render the old one inoperable, so you can't try to sell it to someone else. Not sure exactly what they do, but a sharp tap w/ hammer would tend to make most units quite unuseable.

The stuff I mentioned at the habitat for humanity stores is often times new. You won't get a choice of styles, but you can get new items if you keep your eyes open, stop bye every couple weeks, etc.

Good luck with the remodel. It is a challenge to complete a project like this with a tight budget.

I looked into the habitat for humanity, i dont know if it works different over there but it seems like it was to build houses volunteering or donating.....am i missing something? Thank alot! Kerrylib

Back