Masonry Water Penetration

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_GS

Reaction score
So just curious if this is a big issue or not. During last winter I noticed water in my basement in laundry room and when I say water I mean just a coating on the floor. I went on a search to discover where it was from and was almost positive the neighbors gutter and downspout was causing the issue as there was no where for water run off when it got to the ground (townhouse so we have joining property). I noticed a large puddle behind their central air and after a month I noticed they since added a black corrugated downspout to divert water away from the foundation.

Prior to all of this, whenever it rained I could hear water trickling down the wall while I was in the basement. To help fix the small seepage I used drylok and filled in any gaps I saw. After that and the neighbors added downspout extension the water has been very minimum but I still see a little at the base of the wall. Not sure if this is a big issue considering its traveling from ground level outside down the wall and finding any gaps to get in. Not sure if that would effect the structural integrity of the masonry.

Most concrete is porous and will allow water to pass thru. That is why it is improtant to waterproof from the outside. Your real proplem is when there is so much water in the concrete when you have freezing temps near the surface of the ground. Freeze, thaw of wet concrete is a problem.

Yea that's what I'm worried about the wall the separate the basement from outside is some type of poured foundation wall and the wall separating my basement from the neighbors is a cmu wall which I'm pretty sure is hollow and not filled. That inside corner those 2 walls create is where the seepage is coming from. Very minor but as you mention the constant temp change if any water is trapped. I don't even know where to begin to check outside for where it's coming down the wall.

I wouldn't worry to much about the cmu wall. How deep is the floor compared to outside ground level. Is digging out of the question. Concrete form are held together with wire or ties or something and they are broke off when the forms are removed and should be sealed. Sometimes they will rust out and leave a nice hole for water to run thru.

Floor level would be about 8' below ground level

Latest posts

Back