CBU under tub or after tub installation?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
This may be a very basic question, but I've never done a complete tear out of a bathroom, and it has me thinking. Right now, I'm down to the studs and plywood subfloor. The plumbing is done aside from the tub drain and valve installation. The plumber is waiting for me to get the tub in. After I drywall, I plan to put down 1/4" CBU and tile. It seems to me that the tub should be installed after the CBU so that the floor isn't built up too high, but that would mean the proper order is: drywall - CBU on floor - tub - CBU on walls. Is this correct? If not, what is the proper order?

No the tub goes in first and the wall sheeting come down to just above the lip of the tub. If for what ever reason the floor need to be changed you want have to remove the tub.

Makes sense. So, the CBU on the floor butts up against the tub? After tile, that will leave about 1/2" of flooring built up next to the tub. That's the factor that had me questioning the order of things, but I suppose all remodels that keep existing tubs have quite a bit of flooring built up around the tub.

Jus be sure that you put thinset under the cbu, too.

A thinset is definitely a nice suggestion. I have used it in my bathroom and the tiles are attached wonderfully in the bathroom.

Thinset under the CBU is a must.

BerthaSoy said:
A thinset is definitely a nice suggestion.

As Sam said, it's not a suggestion, it's a requirement.

You mentioned wallboard around the tub. What's the finish covering going on these walls?

Jaz

This wasn't my first time putting CBU on a floor, or tiling a floor; I always use thinset. This was the first time I've completely gutted a bathroom and replaced the tub, hence the original question.

12 1/2" porcelain tiles were used for everything.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1393468287.398100.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I was just wondering what type of CBU you used on the walls above the tub. Were you able to waterproof the walls, especially the window?

Jaz

I used 1/2" Hardie. Put plastic on the studs and wrapped on the window with silicone where needed. Also put a reasonable slope on the sill when I tiled. The window shouldn't see much more than a little bit of water that might splash up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Latest posts

Back