Home Repair Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick W

Reaction score
Greetings: I'm a new comer but an old man. looking fwd to learning from you all. Retired PD and Fire mechanic and like to do my own smaller repairs. Stuck with a leaking 6' vinyl slider door at base. Contractor did not chalk proper. Leaking at base. Any help??

Last edited:
Welcome from Texas. I'm afraid to show my ignorance but I have no clue what a 6' vinyl slider door is.

Welcome from Texas. I'm afraid to show my ignorance but I have no clue what a 6' vinyl slider door is.

I think he means a 6' patio door, like a pocket door that slides.Or it could be some sort of really big cheeseburger from Chili's.

Check the caulking outside, especially near the bottom. If any pin-holes or gaps or hard caulking, replace it all. If the sliding unit, check the rubber weather-stripping where it touches the fixed unit when closed. These sometimes wear, get brittle, or come out of their spline. If the water leak is from underneath the threshold, you will have to remove the whole unit, in order to install sticky window flashing and caulking (3 beads) underneath. Spend some time to be certain where the water is coming from. Then get back to us...
Be safe, Gary

Back