Easy way to remove posts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TxBuilder

I have a lot of metal posts cemented about 3' into the ground that I have to remove to put up my wood fence.

The larger posts I hit with a crow bar and it broke the cement but the small posts I have to manually dig out all the way around to get them to budge. Any tricks on removing these things faster? I tried a hi-lift jack but couldn't bolt anything tight enough to have a point to hi-lift it, no matter how tight it just slips off.

Drill through the post and put a 1/2" bolt through. Thread a nut down to about half way to the head and push the remaining bolt through, put another nut on and you've got a good pull point.Fasten your chain under that.

Have you ever tried using an old wheel? Roll the wheel up beside the post, run a chain over the wheel and tie it down close to the ground. Hook the other end to your trusty Jeep or tractor,, mules? As the chain pulls tight over the wheel, it lifts and pulls. It works great. A wider wheel works best. A tall wheel works OK, but a short wide wheel works best and gives you the best leverage.

If you intend on using a Hi-lift jack, use a clevis around the post, this won't slip off. However, Square Eye gave you the best option to remove them.

Latest posts

Back