Fence question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I hope this is the right spot to ask my question.

I have a small fence in my front yard, maybe 3 feet high. Its been here since we moved in and am deciding if I want to take it out completely. The problem is that there are two of the fence posts that have a slight bend in them from the snow in the winter being plowed up against it. Is there are a way that I can some how fix it?

And If I decide to take it out is there a way to remove the fence posts from the ground without tearing up the whole lawn? I thought about maybe cutting them just below the surface of the grass and putting some topsoil on top of it with some grass seed. Maybe you guys might have a better suggestion.

Jeremy

Removal of the fence posts depends on if they were anchored with cement.
If so, then do as you planned and cut them off below ground level.
If not, an old fashion bumper jack attached to a chain wrapped around the pole will pull them out.

I have also heard that you can buy some sort of brace to put on the posts. Thats if I wanted to keep the fence

You can use a cutter to cut them out on the ground level.

Like sawzall? I would have to cut a bit lower right so you couldn't see the posts in the ground?

Not likely bent from piling snow against it. Are you sure the post just hasn't leaned over? Have a look and see if there is concrete around the post.

actually I did take a look and I don't see concrete, is there some way to brace it? the whole fence isn't leaning just a small section. It looks like I would have to brace two posts.

JeremyB said:
Hi Guys

I hope this is the right spot to ask my question.

I have a small fence in my front yard, maybe 3 feet high. Its been here since we moved in and am deciding if I want to take it out completely. The problem is that there are two of the fence posts that have a slight bend in them from the snow in the winter being plowed up against it. Is there are a way that I can some how fix it?

And If I decide to take it out is there a way to remove the fence posts from the ground without tearing up the whole lawn? I thought about maybe cutting them just below the surface of the grass and putting some topsoil on top of it with some grass seed. Maybe you guys might have a better suggestion.

Jeremy

As the post will likely lean or bend again, I would suggest replacing both of them. I think this will last much longer. I tried to straighten and brace a corner post and after a few months the same thing happened. I am now replacing it. Wish I had done this the first time.

Back