Ethernet hookup in kitchen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex0r

Reaction score
I do web development and webhosting, and I am setting up a small datacenter in my basement. I have already built the framework for it, and now I am running the cabling. While I am at it, I plan to run cable from every room in my house into the datacenter, to give my entire house ethernet access. My question is, as I am in the process of remodelling my kitchen, should I install a keystone in my kitchen while I have the walls stripped, or should I just not worry about it? As of now, I don't have anything that would require internet access, however eventually I may have a small tv and blu-ray player or media streaming box in the room, and having ethernet may be beneficial.

I am setting up for an entire gigabit network, so wireless is out of the question.

I wouldn't mind installing the network cable in the kitchen, just wondering if it's common practice to have one in there.

I would do it, especially since you have it open already. I like to cook and use a tablet often as a cookbook but today there are so many internet based cooking shows and recipe sites, having direct access to them would be better. Plus, as you noted, having access to a tv.

I think I am going to add one while i have access to it. The patch panel and servers don't need 1,000 feet, and i'll have a lot of surplus so I might as well do it.

Eventually, I will have a wireless access point installed so I can get wireless access if I NEED it, and for using my phone in my house, however anything that has an ethernet jack i'd rather be connected via a cat5 cable.

I don't think cat5 can accommodate full gigabit. You'll need cat7a and potentially plenum rated depending on how you run your cables.

I made a typo in my last comment, it should have stated cat6, which is more than capable of running gigabit. cat7 is used in 10gigabit networks, which for a home, is complete overkill.

The current home setup, which doesn't include the servers, is setup for gigabit with only cat5 cables in the middle, bringing the speed down to 100mbit. Once I do all the rewiring everything will be on cat6, which will give full gigabit.

At least run the cable and leave a loop stapled inside the wall cavity. You can always cut the hole later and pull the cable out.
Take a photo and measurements so know where it is later.

I would do that, but it's going into a patch panel in the server room and will be connected, so I don't want to leave the other end unterminated. I suppose though that I could just not use that port on the patch panel.

It won't hurt anything to be in the patch panel if nothing is connected to it. Don't patch it to anything. Just label it as kitchen.

Latest posts

Back