Corroding Fence... Dog issue...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK... I'm looking for some suggestions for dealing with a corroding wrought iron fence, which is exclusively due to a 12 yr old cocker which my wife loves more than me. (Although I like the dog, and not having him around would free up considerable more room in the dog house for me, if he became missing, my wife would still consider me a prime suspect.)

I have taken this section of the (see pics) down to bare metal twice, treated it with "Ospho" to encapsulate the remaining rust, and have painted it with a glossy black oil-based enamel. The dog still wins the fight.

From the photo, you can see that there isn't a lot of metal left. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cut out this section and corner post and weld in a replacement that I'm not confident I can find. If there were some sort of thin shrouding material I could apply, I'd like to try it. Would Bond-o work on something like this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick

20131029_141720(1).jpg

20131029_141706(1).jpg

20131026_161258.jpg

Square tubing is available, your not going to beat the rust, when it is set in concrete it should be hot dipped galvinized.

Minwax makes a 2 part polyester filler. You could sand down as much as possible, pack the Minwax into the holes to fill the cavity as much as possible, sand smooth, prime the bad areas with Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer, then top coat with Rustoleum black in the gloss level of choice. I've done similar repairs in the past and you'll likely have to touch up every couple of years but the repair is solid. Welding in a new piece would be better, but is considerably more involved requiring more equipment and an additional skill set.

Your best bet is an electric collar with an in-ground wire that establishes the boundary. I have done this with a very stubbonr coon hound ... it worked the FIRST TIME. Best money I ever spent because the neighbors were fixing to put out a contract on the hound.

http://www.petco.com/product/12328/... Dog Basic In-Ground Pet Fencing System-12328

You bury the wire where you want them to stop. The wire traces back to the controller in the garage. With the collar on the dog, it will mildly shock the dog as it gets closer to the boundary ... and really lets him have it when he gets to the boundary.

Even stupid dogs like yours will get the message.

Unfortunately, there is no thermonuclear setting on the collar which could vaporize the dog you don't like.

SHOCKED 1.JPG

Back