Mfg wood floor over concrete slab brick fireplace transition

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas529

Reaction score
In the process of fireplace remodel. Installers of wood floor used quarter round to hide the gap where wood meets brick fp hearth. They mailed into the grout and almost all the nails failed.
Is there another application available to me? I was thinking about picture framing it with a wider molding and nailing that molding into the 3/8 flooring. With the help of some construction adhesive.

Is this a good idea? Any other way?

I would glue the quarter round back to the grout line. Something like liquid nails.

Mask everything off good first no matter how careful you are that stuff gets on stuff.

Thanks for your reply.
I know the floor has to float, but was thinking if I nailed thru the molding into the flooring (and no further because concrete slab) the floor could still move. I really wouldn't be nailing the floor down. Just trying to get away from that quarter round.

Thanks for your reply.
I know the floor has to float, but was thinking if I nailed thru the molding into the flooring (and no further because concrete slab) the floor could still move. I really wouldn't be nailing the floor down. Just trying to get away from that quarter round.

But the floor is supposed to be able to move in and out under the molding.

So depending on when you do it, the floor could contract and leave a gap at the fireplace or expand and be too tight at the fireplace.:nono:

Where the nails went into the mortar drill a hole and glue in a piece if wood like a wooden match stick or a little bigger and then nail into that.

Back