Is there a coving that butts with corbels?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilTheDIY

Reaction score
Plasterboard ceiling. Uneven walls. Uneven join. 3' wide hallway. 12' high.

I would like 2 corbels (I have only just discovered this word) where the ceiling changes height. I would also like coving (beading) around wall to join corbels to cover join between wall and ceiling.

Is there a coving that butts with corbels or am I in fantasy land. Could I use some sort of beading, preferably flexible, instead. Maybe thin wood strip ? The corbels I am looking at have a thickness of only 2cm on the ledge fixing to the ceiling. Beneath that it cuts inwards and is decorative.

Previous advice on door glass was useful. Thanks

A picture would help.
But I would buy a couple pieces of trim and see what looks best and actually works.
Before that maybe rip some strips of wood to see what that looks like.
It all depends on the look YOU want.:D

I have seen wood which can be used as dado rail and I can use for ceilings.

I now have two corbels with no visible means of support! How do I fix them to a fairly uneven wall. One is a mix of filler and emulsion over a gloss over a mix of concrete and plaster. The other, thankfully, is thin coat of emulsion over plaster.

Do I stick them on with superglue, No Nails or what ?

Thanks

As long as it is wood ,You can use some pl 400 construction adhesive or even liquid nails. It was mentioned in another post.
Some tape will help to hold while it dries.
Or a trim screw and some putty will also help to hold it if you do not mind the holes.
Good luck.

Thank you inspectorD

Will the adhesive work for plaster? The corbels are made from plaster? Will the tape have enough pressure to hold it?

It will hold plaster parts.
The tape may not work, you may need a piece of wood to prop it up from the floor. Or screw a piece of trim around it into the wall, and then patch the small hole in the wall. Put something soft on the corble or you may damage it. Look around , be creative.
I have also used some hot glue once or twice to hold something while something else dries. You may need to do the four corners where it will touch and have to hold it for a minute.
Good luck.

Back