Tile over pine floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpumo

Reaction score
I bought a house a few years ago that was 90% completed and I have been working my way through doing all the finishing work. There are a few quirky things with this house, for example I have pine floors throughout the house that are 4 inches wide and 2 inches thick, including the bathroom. The house is all post and beam and the builder got away without laying a subfloor in the loft by using the 2 inch thick pine floors. This means the master bathroom has a wood floor which is also the ceiling for the room below, crazy eh?
To avoid it raining in the bedroom below each time someone has a bath, I want to put down a tile floor.

If I lay a proper tile floor I’m going to have an inch of transition from the wood to tile.

Any suggestions?

-Jon

If that floor is pretty stable you might be able to just put shluter right on the pine and save some height.

If that floor is pretty stable you might be able to just put shluter right on the pine and save some height.

No way. :eek:

You can not install Ditra, or any other membrane or concrete backer board over plank flooring. You need a plywood underlayment first. If those 2x4's are perfectly flat you can go with 1/2" B/C exposure 1 ply, otherwise you will need 5/8 or 3/4".

Tile is not gonna make the floor waterproof, although bathroom floors are not usually waterproofed.

Make a wood or marble threshold transition in the doorway.

Jaz

Well I appreciate the reply anyways. I like the idea of the marble transition. So, I think I can get away with 1/2 exp 1 B/C with Ditra which will rise it an inch.

Back