installing an "extra" washer & dryer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemakermom

Reaction score
I'm wondering how difficult it would be to add an extra washer and dryer to our home. We currently have one frontloading washer and one frontloading dryer in the upstairs laundry room. My idea would be to either make those stacking (can be done with this type of washer/dryer and add another one that is stacking next to it.) I wasn't sure if I would have to add extra plumbing & venting if we did this. My other idea would be to add another washer/dryer downstairs in either the master bath or in the hall closet. Has anyone attempted this? We have a large family and are having trouble keeping with the large amount of laundry that goes into it!

The plumbing should work if you don't start two washers at the same time or have them drain at the same time. The dryer will need it own vent and power supply. The question is whether you have enough power coming into the house and room in the breaker box for another double breaker, and how hard will it be to run the wire.

I would probably want the option to run both washer and dryers at the same time. My husband is thinking it would be easier to add another washer/dryer to the already established laundry room than to add it to another part of the house. I guess we would have to hire an electrician and plumber ... is this correct?

Reguardless where you put it ,you will need a ckt for the washer and a ckt for the dryer. Hire an electrician and do it right the first time....don

Far better and cheaper to just buy bigger washers and dryers.

Far better and cheaper to just buy bigger washers and dryers.

We already have extra large capacity. Let's just say ... 5 young kiddos .... playing outside, cloth diapers on the baby, plus normal everyday laundry = mountains of laundry.

Back