Laminate flooring help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prweber84

Reaction score
hey guys new to here and I'm looking forward to learning some valuable information! we are preparing to install laminate flooring on the upper level of our home, it is a bi-level. I will most likely have to add pictures on here to describe what my issue is but i will also explain first. The stairwell is the area of concern. we will be redoing the stairs but where the stairwell meets the living room I'm not really sure how to make the floor 'float' I'm guessing i will use reducers or even the stair tread caps. also wonder how to attach the stair railing to the floor since now it is lag bolted into the subfloor? and here is the pictures to help give a better visual...

IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

hey guys new to here and I'm looking forward to learning some valuable information! we are preparing to install laminate flooring on the upper level of our home, it is a bi-level. I will most likely have to add pictures on here to describe what my issue is but i will also explain first. The stairwell is the area of concern. we will be redoing the stairs but where the stairwell meets the living room I'm not really sure how to make the floor 'float' I'm guessing i will use reducers or even the stair tread caps. also wonder how to attach the stair railing to the floor since now it is lag bolted into the subfloor? and here is the pictures to help give a better visual...

Better late than never, welcome to the site

Perhaps you could copy the woodwork under the railing between the stairs. Just leaving a gap on the hallway side for the lam. to fit under.

The laminate Mfr may have special pieces to finish the edges, or you could use a slightly wider molding and set it at the height of the new floor. I would imagine that you could "notch" around the stair rail posts; a simple u-shaped cut should work. Then use the cut out piece under the posts.
The Mfr may have specific instructions for this too. You can't be the first person to run into this problem.

BTW: you dropped your shades. :banana: Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back