How to remove old peel & stick primer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reykev

Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first post.

My old peel & stick flooring (in the kitchen) is cracking and chipping and it's time to replace it. I bought newer peel & stick thinking I could just pick up the old stuff, at my convenience, one tile at a time and replace it with the new tiles. Then I discovered what I think is a primer. I'm guessing whom ever installed the peel & stick tiles (before we bought this house) thought the tiles wouldn't just stick to this rough and unfinished wood, which I would agree with, and so put down a primer.

So, what I'm doing now is using: 1. A hammer. 2. A cold chisel. And, 3. A wood scraper. This is nuts. There has to be a better way.

Please see attached photos.

Questions:

1. Can anyone identify this stuff?
  2. Is there a better way to remove it other than a hammer and chisel?
  3. Anyrecommendations as to a good primer after all this old stuff is gone?
Any help is appreciated.

967_0598.JPG

967_0599.JPG

967_0600.JPG

967_0601.JPG

967_0603.JPG

967_0604.JPG

May be a floor leveler. is it thicker in some spots?
One strategy is to pull up the plywood and all. You'll (obviously) have the chore of replacing it, but the time and effort saved in scraping the floor smooth enough for the replacement tiles may outweigh the chore.

You can floor patch the low spots and put 1/4" underlayment plywood over the top.

A leveler! Yes, it is thicker in some spots. Thanks!

Back