Old siding repair questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missdoc77

Reaction score
My house was built in 1984 and has it's original siding, which I think is called "pressed board"??? I'm not sure. It looks like lap siding but its a simulated look to some extent. What looks like 3 lap boards is actually just one that's made to look like 3. I hope that makes sense. I'll attach a pic, though it's not a great one.

The market being what it is these days, as much as I'd love all new siding, we can not afford to dump $15000 into Hardie siding! And yes, that's what the estimates have been close to with the amount of siding we have. We do not plan to stay in this house for much longer, anyway.

My question is - are there any products out there that could be used for repairs and look similar enough? I'd like to fix the rotted places, replace trim and repaint everything but I've not found anything or anyone who knows of a siding to use for repair.

siding.png

Hi sternshot44 here

Can you cut out the rotten parts and lap some Harding plank to look like the old. If not how about pressure treated plywood cut to dimensional strip lapped and painted.

Is patching with a compound an option? Not sure on extent of damage.

Your not likely going to find anything new but you might look around the used building products stores, you might find a few pieces. The other trick is to find an area on the house that might look good with a different siding, like a patio area and salvage some for your repairs.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The damaged areas are not extensive. What kind of compound would be used for patching, kok328??

Bondo works well for these repairs and is available at the big box stores in large containers. If you use Bondo make sure you follow the directions.

Latest posts

Back