Laminate flooring on two levels of slab?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrick

Reaction score
I have a house that has had a bit of haphazard addition. The dining room expands a few feet past the corner of the original house in both directions and then has rooms on one side and a kitchen on the other (both are additions). I removed carpetting and a confusing mess of mortar from the floor and found that it is two slabs at different levels. The first level is the foundation of the original house and the second, about 1/4 inch higher, was most likely the porch/walkway.

I know laminate flooring requires a pretty level surface so I have two options I'm thinking of:
  1. Fill in the entire floor to the higher level. This would allow me to have a completely level floor. Unfortunately, 1) I don't trust my skills to make this really level and 2) this would make the surface higher than the rest of the original house, requiring me to tear up the leveling material if I want to put in a new floor level with the other areas of the house.
  2. Have two levels of flooring, one at the higher level and one at the slightly lower level. This would shrink the size of the dining area slightly, but it would create a border that I think would be pretty attractive and define the space.

So, my questions:
  • For the first option, is there any reasonable/cheap solution other than pouring something in to add the 1/4 inch.
  • For the second option, has anyone done this? Would it look good to use the flooring for both areas or should I try two different types?

Thanks!

Lay fan fold foam insulation on the lower side. It will stop some of the cold coming through the slab.
You do know when installing laminite over a slab you will need a vaper barrier and will need to glue all the joints?
I would strongly suggest you go look at the Allour brand strip flooring sold at Home depot before buying the laminite. Over a slab it needs no prep, There no seams going to show if you take your time, it's waterproof unlike laminite, can be installed with nothing more then a pair of tin snips.
I installed it in my own kitchen and love it. There's no hollow sound when walking on it, does not flax. I did my whole 12 X 12 kitchen in an hour.

Lay fan fold foam insulation on the lower side. It will stop some of the cold coming through the slab.
You do know when installing laminite over a slab you will need a vaper barrier and will need to glue all the joints?
I would strongly suggest you go look at the Allour brand strip flooring sold at Home depot before buying the laminite. Over a slab it needs no prep, There no seams going to show if you take your time, it's waterproof unlike laminite, can be installed with nothing more then a pair of tin snips.
I installed it in my own kitchen and love it. There's no hollow sound when walking on it, does not flax. I did my whole 12 X 12 kitchen in an hour.

Joe is right. Laminate is extremely sensitive to water damage. A small spill can result in your floor popping out within a few hours. Vinyl flooring is more resistant and stable in a kitchen for sure!

Back