Ceiling problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger123

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum but we noticed that there is a huge bump on our ceiling, and are clueless to how to fix it, or what's causing it to start with. When we touch the bump it is soft - seems to be some kind of water leakage, but we don't know. Could anyone help us?

The picture of the ceiling is uploaded here: http://tinypic.com/r/2im3qzo/8

Thanks so much

Welcome to site. That looks like water. You may as well hold a bucket up to it and poke it as it will fail anyway. Roof leak or plumbing leak up stairs.

Hi nealtw,

Thanks for your help. We poked it and nothing came out. It appears that the popcorn paint is coming out due to the humidity. We did have toilet leakage the day before which is likely linked to this. Should we be worried?

I am surpized you found no water in it. You might be right that the moisture made it come loose. Now the questions are how much water leaked into the ceiling and if it didn't leak down stairs where is that water and what is it doing there. Wet drywall is a great food for mold with all the problems that could cause. This bubble will not go back in place and will have to be repaired, with that in mind I would remove the bubble and inspect the material of the ceiling. If you dig thru the paper a little and it is dry, white and chalky you will be fine. If it is wet and mushy it should be removed and the area should dry out before patching is done. If you have plaster in an older house, it does not feed mold as bad and it may dry out on it's own.

Well if you didn’t poke too big of a hole in it you could just live with it or try and repair it. The popcorn spray is a little hard to match if you cut the bad spot out and patch, but can be done. I have taken a small piece of plywood and a pole and put the plywood on a bad spot like that and jam the pole in to push up and leave it till it dried out and it looked ok with some new paint dabbed on.

Thanks nealtw and bud16415. We will take your advices and see what's doable.

Like bud says popcorn ceiling is hard to patch good. I would take a utility knife and poke the area if it is soft it should be replaced but if it is still hard then try cutting a slit in the bubble and squeeze some construction adhesive up there and push the bubble back up. If it doesnt stay up try keeping it up with a 2x4x8 until the glue dries.

Latest posts

Back