Need to remove layer of natural stone tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

python01

Reaction score
I have installed tiles on the wall, they are not even natural stone tiles. I have made openings for electrical switches and outlets but now I need to make the area around these even so the cover plates fit flush to the tiles.
So far I have tried using oscillating multi-tool with carbide grout removal tool to cut around and carbide rasp to remove the stone but the progress is so slow it would take forever. I am thinking of getting some type of diamond rasp but not sure if it would be any better?
Also if someone can suggest another method or tool to do this job?
I am attaching couple of pictures, first shows the tile and varying thickness and the second shows what I have done with the carbide rasp but I would have to remove much more to make it work.
Any ideas?

Tiles-1.jpg

Tiles-2.jpg

Might want to use a combination of tools. Careful use of a 4" diamond blade on an angle grinder can do the bulk of the work. Your multi-tool can do the corners. Get a friend to hold a shop vac hose to catch the dust as it comes off the angle grinder ... This will allow you to see your progress and minimize the cloud in the room.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-4...u=203231751&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

Thank you guys, I will give it a shot. I have couple of angle grinders, was just hoping for something less messy:)

Back