Moss

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris5

Reaction score
I have moss growing on my roof shingles. Can anyone suggest the best way to remove the moss and prevent its possible return.

We have moss like you would not believe in the Northwest. Zinc strips work OK. Zinc Sulphate powder (moss-b-ware, moss out) works also. Generally the best idea is to kill it with zinc powder or a weak solution of bleach. then after a few months when it is all brown sweep it off, or use a garden hose (if you can walk on the roof) if it is too steep then most of it will come off in the rain.
Be carefull
Don't be the guy who falls off his roof and is killed or maimed because of moss

We have moss like you would not believe in the Northwest. Zinc strips work OK. Zinc Sulphate powder (moss-b-ware, moss out) works also. Generally the best idea is to kill it with zinc powder or a weak solution of bleach. then after a few months when it is all brown sweep it off, or use a garden hose (if you can walk on the roof) if it is too steep then most of it will come off in the rain.
Be carefull
Don't be the guy who falls off his roof and is killed or maimed because of moss

Good thinking on Health and Safety maters, here is a link to one of my articles

http://www.roof-repairs-uk.co.uk/how-to-stay-safe-while-repairing-your-roof.html

Back