room is half Hardwood floors/concrete

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyG

Reaction score
My cat recently had a UTi, and unbeknown to us has ruined a good portion of my living room carpet. I have tried my best cleaning it and it still smells, and is discolored. There is nice hardwood flooring underneath carpeting, so I'd love to just rip it up. I know enough to do any resurfacing to the flooring it needs, but the problem is the previous owners expanded the LR into what was a carport. And just left/added concrete as flooring, and filled in the gap. So LR is half hardwood/cement. There is a noticeable dip from HW(higher) to concrete(lower), but from what I can tell only 1/4", maybe. So what would be my options in adding new hardwood to line up with the old, and how can I handle the height difference it would create? And what is the thinnest type of underlayment can be used for moisture barrier?

Hay Jenny; welcome to the site: I don't think there is a good answer for your question.
My first thought would be to use some type of leveling compound to the concrete and then use something like fibreglass based lino to cover both. Hopefully others will be along with other ideas.

Posting a picture is always helpfull.
Real hardwood can not be laid over concrete so it's time for a plan B.

I'd have to pull the carpet back up to get a pic. I know moisture can be a problem. But I've read that u can use floating(I believe that is the term) wood flooring, with a good moisture barrier.

Try looking up engineered flooring. It can be installed as a floating floor and is real hardwood on the top layer.
It's avalible in about hundred differant types of woods and finishes.

Back