grass

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvachawk

Reaction score
has Any one seen zoisia grass
is it what they say it is in the ad

Is that the kind of grass that looks almost perfectly green?
I think I've seen that, but I don't know if anyone has it. Isn't it really expensive?

Yes, I have some zoysia grass and love it. It stays a beautiful green all summer long and feels like a thick carpet underfoot.
One drawback for northern climates; it turns brown on the first frost and stays that way until sometime in April.
As to the cost; it doesn't take many plugs to fill in an area very quickly, killing out any other grasses on the way. Then, as an area fills in, you can plug it to other areas and soon have a nice thick, tough lawn. The advertising says it doesn't need to be mowed over 3 times a season; my mowers won't allow it to grow like that (mowing it every week) so I can't comment on that claim. I know it sure makes their mower beg for mercy though.
Glenn

thanks
how will it hold up in the winter with a dog on it all winter and a little wet from the snow

A fenced in dog will wear out steel along the fence. If the dog traffic is spread out over some space it won't hurt it. Its a little like bermuda grass and even looks like it except the zoysa will vine and knit much tighter than bermuda. Where bermuda vines along the ground the zoysa vines and knits itself to make a thick carpet. My zoysa is about 3" thick and you don't walk on the ground; it holds you an inch or two above the dirt.
Glenn

Yes, I have some zoysia grass and love it. It stays a beautiful green all summer long and feels like a thick carpet underfoot.
One drawback for northern climates; it turns brown on the first frost and stays that way until sometime in April.
As to the cost; it doesn't take many plugs to fill in an area very quickly, killing out any other grasses on the way. Then, as an area fills in, you can plug it to other areas and soon have a nice thick, tough lawn. The advertising says it doesn't need to be mowed over 3 times a season; my mowers won't allow it to grow like that (mowing it every week) so I can't comment on that claim. I know it sure makes their mower beg for mercy though.
Glenn

I realize this is a little late coming but, when you say "... it doesn't take many plugs to fill an area...", can you give some idea what that would be? 2-3 plugs to a square foot or square yard? Less? More? How long does it take to spread? How drought-resistant is it?

Back