Can I make this gate so I can enter with a lock?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I am trying to make this gate so that it can be entered only if you know a padlock code. Is this possible? Currently, it is impossible to enter from the front if the latch is latched, so I leave it open.

(I don't know why the images were rotated)

fence1.jpg

fence2.jpg

There are any number of combination entry lock-sets, or you can install a one way entry lockset that requires a key from one side and is passage from the other, and the boring is as that of your house lockset.

There are any number of combination entry lock-sets, or you can install a one way entry lockset that requires a key from one side and is passage from the other, and the boring is as that of your house lockset.

Yea but I have to do it as a combo lock so my pool guy can clean the pool every week. Plus, if I ever want to give it out to anyone else.

Yea but I have to do it as a combo lock so my pool guy can clean the pool every week. Plus, if I ever want to give it out to anyone else.

If you can work in a house dead bolt you can get one with a key bad.
A friend has one, when it quit we phoned them for parts and the sent out a new one right away.
http://www.weiserlock.com/en/home.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

There are probably 15 too 20 different styles of comb. locks to fit your need, and they range in price from the sublime to the ridicules.

There are probably 15 too 20 different styles of comb. locks to fit your need, and they range in price from the sublime to the ridicules.

I'm confused how it would work.

Would it be a keypad to a string? What's the cheapest thing for me to buy that would take care of the issue?

buy a simple key lock, and make a duplicate key for your pool guy. He probably has a chain of keys already. Much better chance than him remembering your combination.

buy a simple key lock, and make a duplicate key for your pool guy. He probably has a chain of keys already. Much better chance than him remembering your combination.

The type of lock isn't the issue. I could interchange locks at my discretion.

It's the rest of the hardware that I don't understand.

What needs to be added to this fence?

John the link you posted. the pad goes to the post with the string thru a hole to the latch that you have. If the picture in post 2 is the inside of the gate.

What's the cheapest thing for me to buy that would take care of the issue?

Take a hole saw and cut a hole thru the fence on both sides of the post. Go to the hardware store and buy 18” of chain and a combination pad lock. Stick the chain thru the holes around the pole and lock it. If you need to get to it from the other side pull the chain and lock thru the hole.

Under 10 bucks, foolproof, and farmer tested.

Would it be a keypad to a string? What's the cheapest thing for me to buy that would take care of the issue?

The installation is explained in post #3.

As for the price, check your local hrdw. vendors.

Take a hole saw and cut a hole thru the fence on both sides of the post. Go to the hardware store and buy 18” of chain and a combination pad lock. Stick the chain thru the holes around the pole and lock it. If you need to get to it from the other side pull the chain and lock thru the hole.

Under 10 bucks, foolproof, and farmer tested.

I get the part about drilling a hole and sticking a chain through. I tie one end of the chain to the latch.

And what do I tie it to on the other end? And how do I stop people from pulling it if they don't know the combination? I can't picture it.

Back