Deck painting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lk2121

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a wooden large deck on backside of House.
I live in western PA and getting a lot of snow during winter time.
After winter, paint or stain on my deck is peeling every year so I repainted every year. Is there any good methode or better way to avoid paint every year?
I used Olympic deck paint but wasn't good so I choose Thomson brand work better than Olympic.
Someone said use primer first then use deck paint?

thanks

I would suggest sanding the wood to rough it up a bit, THEN primer paint. Then you can paint it. Then I would seal it. Twice if its recommended on the can.

Also, do you have any photos of how it looks every year? So we can get an idea of what we're working with here.

I skipped last year paint or stain the deck and looks like this.
IMG00217-20110610-0714.jpg

IMG00218-20110610-0715.jpg

IMG00219-20110610-0715.jpg

IMG00220-20110610-0716.jpg

There is algae on a few of the boards. I personally would sand it prior. Do it right the first time, ya know?

Powerwash and deck cleaner. Keep the wand away from the wood 8 inches .
And let the deck dry for a week before you do anything.

Paint on a deck will never work. Pressure treated wood will not accept paint for long.
Sanding as suggest on a molded up deck will grind the mold deeper into the wood. Far better to use bleach and a pressure washer to kill the mold first, let it dry out, then sand.
Here's the rule a new pressure treated deck needs time to dry out before staining. In you area it could have been 6 months. If you try to stain it to soon it will fail every time and the mold will be sealed behind what every you put over it and keep coiming back.
Solid color stains can be mixed any color that paints can be tinted. The first time it was sealed it should have had two coats, if not it's never going to last.

Paint on a deck will never work. Pressure treated wood will not accept paint for long.
Sanding as suggest on a molded up deck will grind the mold deeper into the wood. Far better to use bleach and a pressure washer to kill the mold first, let it dry out, then sand.
Here's the rule a new pressure treated deck needs time to dry out before staining. In you area it could have been 6 months. If you try to stain it to soon it will fail every time and the mold will be sealed behind what every you put over it and keep coiming back.
Solid color stains can be mixed any color that paints can be tinted. The first time it was sealed it should have had two coats, if not it's never going to last.

Great advice, :agree:

Latest posts

Back