New - Dremel question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano2

Reaction score
Just registered, I plan on viewing this forum a lot.

My first question. What would be the best Dremel tool (attachment) to remove surface rust from some gun parts. Blue scope mounts and SS barrel. Yes, the Stainless Steel barrel is showing signs of rust. Is there a very mild abrasive wheel that might take it off if I was real careful? I have limited attachments now but would be willing to buy if needed. I have some soft felt type wheels and some abrasive sandpaper type wheels, but one seems to soft while the other seems to rough.

A soft rag and gun oil will usually stop rust on a SS barrel. If the problem is worse than that, I would use another soft rag and a polishing compound. Never use a dremel tool with a sanding attachment to clean metals with a fine polished finish. It will leave scuffs and sanding marks wherever you use it.
If the rust is too bad, it will need power tools to remove the rust. In that case, use the felt wheel and rouge to bring back the shine. Stainless steel usually releases rust well.

Welcome to the forum,
Tom

Square Eye said:
A soft rag and gun oil will usually stop rust on a SS barrel. If the problem is worse than that, I would use another soft rag and a polishing compound. Never use a dremel tool with a sanding attachment to clean metals with a fine polished finish. It will leave scuffs and sanding marks wherever you use it.
If the rust is too bad, it will need power tools to remove the rust. In that case, use the felt wheel and rouge to bring back the shine. Stainless steel usually releases rust well.

Welcome to the forum,
Tom

Thanks, Tom ...
The rust is not too bad, so I think I'm going with the felt wheel and rouge suggestion. I've also considered very fine steel wool.

Latest posts

Back