Room for a kitchen island?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjedi

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a question about a kitchen remodel. We're in the final stages of planning and my wife was asking about adding an island.
The kitchen isn't huge, though, and I'm not sure it would be big enough. The overall size is 12' x 11' with no unusual niches or anything. All the cabinets/appliances will be in an L-shape and we don't have a table or anything else in there. We eat in the dining room.
What would be a good "practical" size for an island? How much space should there be around it? It would not have any electrical or plumbing, just thinking maybe some extra storage/counter space.
Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Well, in reality there is no "practical" size for a kitchen island. This really would depend on what you plan on using it for. In my opinion, the size and layout wouldn't be sufficient to place an island without seriously crowding the kitchen. Can you provide a rough diagram with some basic measurements, maybe we can see what you have to work with.

I'll have to figure out the best way to upload a diagram, but the kitchen is basically just a 12' x 11' rectangle.
I'm thinking it would be too crowded, too.

". . .no smaller than 2-feet deep by 4-feet long."

"The maximum island size, in my opinion would be one that is 6-feet deep and perhaps 10-feet long."

"Some islands may not have to be attached to the floor."

Last edited:
We've also considered something on casters that could be moved against a wall when not needed. Still considering options. :)

We've also considered something on casters that could be moved against a wall when not needed. Still considering options. :)

Well if you only have a limited space on your kitchen, then that would be a good option.

That is exactly what we did, a small island on casters, because of the very small size of our kitchen. The upside is that you can move it around to find the best placement as needed, the only downside is that there is no power, which is not an issue for us. We found ours at Pier 1, I believe. Here is a link to give you some ideas....

http://www.kitchensource.com/kitchen-islands/

Last edited:
rnddude,
Thanks for that link! Our kitchen reno is complete, but we still have that blank wall opposite the cabinets/appliances and we're considering what we can do with it.
There are some nice mobile islands on that website.

what a great idea, my daughter is also in the middle of her kitchen reno as she lives in an apartment space is restricted and she is complaining about the lack of countertop space, this would be a good idea for her situation. i will have to suggest this to her.

Back