painting corrugated fiberglass

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garbo

Reaction score
Our neightbour installed corrugated fiberglass sheets as siding on the back of his garage which faces our yard - only we see it. It got rid of the ugly peeling paint and replaced it with an ugly white wall that distracts from the shrubbery. We'd like to paint it dark brown to match our own garage.

Can corrugated fiberglass sheets be painted? If so, what kind of paint should we use. Anything we should know about it?

Thanks for your help
Garbo

They make doors and windows out of fiberglass, and they get painted all the time, so I wouldn't anticipate any more problem painting fiberglass than any other material.

I wouldn't paint my neighbor's anything without his permission, tho.

But, if I were doing it, I'd prime with a primer that will stick to darn near anything, and both Zinsser's "Bullseye 123" Latex primer and Zinsser's "BIN" shellac based primer fall into that category. I expect both would stick to fiberglass like chewing gum to the underside of a church pew.

Then top coat with the paint of your choice.

I see the problem of how to physically apply the paint to a wavey surface like a corrugated material as being a difficult one, tho. I suppose brushing or spray painting would work the best, but I don't expect either method would be a pleasure. Rolling might work if you could find a small enough diameter roller sleeve. Your neighbor might not be upset that you painted his fiberglass, but he may take issue with the quality of the paint job. After all, everyone else will presume that's HIS skill and ability on display.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Nestor.

This sounds less technical than I feared, but may take more skill than I expected. Will make sure the neighbour is ok with it, though since he can't see it himself as the back of the garage is on the lot-line, (it can only be viewed from our back yard), I don't anticipate any concern on his part.

Back