What to do? (stone foundation)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What problems do you have? ;)

I suspect its settled or has deteriorated.

You could have a mason come in and 'point' it. He would essentially mortar the existing stones in place.

You could remove it and have a block or concrete foundation put in its place.

It depends what you are trying to achieve.

I believe something has backed into the wall, and with that has just created a nice place for water to have its way. I just purchased the house so I have no idea truely what craziness happened. There is also no gutter along the top roof.
What I'm trying to acheive is getting it either look as it did before and stronger.

I own the right side of a duplex, 2 stories, attic, basement. The left side, his foundation has been cemented, with rebar over using a box frame around it. I wouldn't mind fixing of the stone work with this.
House was built in 1908. Let me know if anything else helps you diagnose a problem.
Thankyou

Is there access to a crawl space where you can show and interior view? And also, can you show a couple views from farther back and of the neighbors foundation?

Sorry for the delay. Here are some pics that I had someone take for me, I'll be there soon and be able to take the pictures I have in mind. I also will get a pic of the neighbors side too, it looks completely different, his side comes out about a foot, with cement squared out completely around it, up to the siding. It doen't cover the back of the house however, and I can see his side was just like mine, just with the cement added on side.

I have access to the basement, the "pushed in" wall is just over the oil tank, they tried to minimize heat loss with filler as you can see. Let me know what else you would like to know, and I'll work on explaining to the person taking the pictures what is really needed.
thank you

smokey_mountains_052 [800x600].jpg

willow street 011 [800x600].jpg

willow_street_015 [800x600].jpg

at the house now and looking to fix if anyone has any ideas would be great.

UNLESS you are VERY experienced, don't attempt to diy,,, i'd suspect the molly maguires built your home :beer: & had too much yeungling while doing it,,, as for a footer, probably not but possible,,, think its time to excavate ( safely & carefully ) & rebuild the foundation wall using a licensed INSURED contractor.

in your situation, i'd also want to involve the bldg inspector AND a structural pe to take a look-see

Latest posts

Back