painting walls what primer color to choose

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gghrt000

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am painting walls with current strong vivid color with lighter however non-white colors. What primer color should I choose? Just make the primer as close to the new paint? Thanks!

either have it properly tinted close to the color or just leave it white. If you are going with 2 finish coats( as you should be) white out of the can will do

ok i went through this part today, made a tons of leg work and purchase everything needed and did the primer part till evening. Overall it looks ok, there are two types of walls I am painting the primer over, whole apartment painted with glossy paint and some walls are strong vivid colors which makes the place looks like a bunker. I am turning whiter glossy surface to bright matte white and vivid colors to very light colored brown and green. I am using white primer for all surface. The primer painted over whiter glossy surface looks like nicely covered however the vivid painting was a challenge. No matter how hard I try to apply over those strong vivid color there seems at least some minor irregularity in color after it is done. Also the some of the primer seem to be absorbed over time because just after paint it looks nicely painted but after sometime the original color peeks in and irregularity becomes more evident. As a last touch, I did final finishing touches to make sure it is consistent as possible. Overall it is fairly ok, i am just hoping it will be a good protection from the final paint. i am not sure how the actual paint will go which I will be doing tomorrow. I hope more seasoned folks could give hint. Crossing my fingers.

2. Tomorrow, I would be painting the primer over another 2 bedrooms and I left the tray with residual primer there for overnight. Is that gonig to be usable tonight?

3. I painted with short and t-shirt and most of my parts are covered with paint speckless, what I should use to easily remove this? Regular soap does not seem to work.

Thanks!
Thanks,

Last edited:
I used the following water based primer:
Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3® Water-Base Primer
Most online help advises sanding to remove the glossiness however I just painted directly with this primer. Is it disaster?
However spec says "Water-based formula sticks to most surfaces without requiring sanding for ease of use".

Last edited:
2 coats of finish paint will cover the primer
if the primer is on your clothes, it is there forever
as to the primer left over night, did you cover it? if not, then you will find out soon enough

Ok, glossy to flat conversion I did one coat of behr ceiling and wall premium matte paint and it looks great. No residual gloss in the living room. But I see a some glossy spots here and there in the hallroom area when lights are turned on at evening and when I look along the wall. Mostly around ceiling lights and over the door frame. I might just have to redo the whole thing. I think it is because of all the lights bulbs and other objects along the wall, which I had to use brushes to get around. Not sure if I need a second goat, do I really need it? For colored one, I just put my first finish coat today and it is drying. It is looking great for now and not a trace of old color. But I will do the inspection tomorrow to see how it looks. I will post some pics too. Thanks,

Last edited:
you really should have 2 finish coats, that's just the way it is done

OK, I can still put the second finish coat. I am considering. Currently with one coat, walls looking quite fantastic, I just checked the light blue over white primer which I just finished yesterdya evening and it is looking gorgeous. But looks can be deceiving. What is the primary rationale behind second coat? Better protection, better color resilience over time?

OK, I can still put the second finish coat. I am considering. Currently with one coat, walls looking quite fantastic, I just checked the light blue over white primer which I just finished yesterdya evening and it is looking gorgeous. But looks can be deceiving. What is the primary rationale behind second coat? Better protection, better color resilience over time?[/QUOTE]

yes:clap:

OH GOD, i guess i have to paint it. i feel like dying :( cramps all over my body :(

so i checked the bluer paint today and it looks nice consistent however came to first bump in otherwise smooth progress: tape peeling off was a disaster between ceiling and walls. It just cant peel off right and it comes off taking out the paint with it. For some reason, wall to wall peel was just fine with no mishap. I must have been doing something wrong. TRied pulling off gently as much as possible at 45 degree.
I might attempt re-touch the wall to ceiling edge with fine brush or do the 3rd coat (since i have to apply a 2nd coat on the white sections anyways) and if not work well, might consider just putting ceiling edge trims if worst comes to worst.

PHOTO_20140123_005518[1].jpg

PHOTO_20140123_005502[1].jpg

Last edited:
When you start to have trouble with paint coming with the tape, run a knife blade just beside the tape and cut the paint so it is seperate from the paint on the tape.

thanks Nealtw, that is what i thought but only afterward. now this room has only 1 coat for white color and 2 coats of blue. This weekend I will repaint the 2nd coat for white including ceiling and white section of wall. Once dried I guess I will try another 3rd coat of blue.

Back