Ice Dams/Heat cable

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarfule

Reaction score
I had a problem last winter with ice dams on one portion of my roof. So I removed drywall. Installed soffit and roof vents in my attic and properly insulated the attic. I think I took care of the ice dam problem but just in case I installed easy heat cable on that small section of my roof. My question is in what temperature should that cable melt the ice and snow? We had 4 inches of snow last night and I turned on the cable and it doesn't feel warm to the touch and is not melting any snow. It is only 7 degrees out right now. I know that the cable doesn't get real warm just enough to help clear a path for ice dams but the instruction manual said the cable should feel warm to the touch. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Check the power supply coming in.
Got power?
If not then unplug it and check for continuity through the heating cable.

I replaced with a new cable and it works. Must of had a defective cable.

Most heated gutter tape only heats up to about 55 degrees it gets to warm will premature rot out shingles. Sounds like you should look into some attic ventilation the colder the roof the less ice dams. Also ice and water shield at least one course flatter roofs maybe two. Heated gutter I most case is a band aide to bigger underlying problem.

I think that I did take care of it with venting the attic better. The heat cable was a just in case thing. Did not want to come home to new wet drywall.

Latest posts

Back