A Little help please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper27

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm going to be replacing my laminate countertop with a new one. Just wondering what would be the better surface to adhere the laminate to, plywood or partical board? Thanks, Dave

Plywood.

That said, why are you building from scratch? You can get prefabricated counter tops at any big box store, with the nice rounded nosing and built-in back splash, which means less seams to allow water to get in. Unless the prefabricated counter tops won't fit your requirements, you're doing a whole lot extra labor for a lesser quality end product.

What tool guy said. i will just give you some prices

$100 for a 10 foot section.
they also have precut angles and smaller sections for sale..
even have precut laminate to glue on the ends.

they wanted $50 for a 4X8 sheet of laminate.

some of the laminate is the same pattern as the prefabs. so if you have an wide island you can use both.

To answer your question though. i would use plywood. osb is too dimensional and doesnt hold up to water soo good

You can peel your old laminate off with a heat gun and just stick the new on the old plywood unless its rotted or sagging

OSB is not an option.
Plywood could delaminate.
Partical Board commonly know as MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is what you want to use. It is what is used by the "big box" stores and countertop makers.

I made my own because I wanted a pattern that was not available in a ready made.

I made my own because I wanted a pattern that was not available in a ready made.

In that case, use plywood. MDF or particle board is used by manufacturers because it's cheaper, but plywood is better. ;)

It seemed when I did my project, quite a few years ago, I used what was called marine grade plywood for damp/wet locations. It would remain stable even though some moisture might get into it.

MDF is great for alot of things, but I can attest that it is awful for any use where it will come in contact with moisture on a regular basis. The marine grade plywood is a great choice.

Back