Putting in a Window Unit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archena

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done this before but it's been a long time and the window was only a foot off the ground. I can reach the new one from both sides but I'm on my own putting in a small (5050 BTU) window unit - and dreading it. Any tips?

I got a window unit for our bedroom and the instructions were of little use to me and frankly, they can not write instructions for your specific situation. I ended up cutting a piece of decking to fill in a space for the unit to rest on - otherwise it would be resting on a thin vinyl ridge of my window. Also made a support piece outside the window for the unit to rest on. I also installed a stop bracket for the unit to stop against to prevent it from falling out the window. I do not care for the idea of a heavy unit teetering on (and damaging) my expensive window ready to fall out should someone open the window. Also built some filler pieces because my window was too wide - they tell you the window can not be that wide (ha!). Get additional weather stripping as needed. Finally, I made a drip pan to make the condensate fall away from the house. As jeff mentioned, make sure the unit tilts back a bit or you will end up with a build up of condensate that your fan blade will spin through. So support, security, angle, and sealing it up. Probably your unit will be easier to install than mine - I think mine was worst case but still it did not take that long to put it in. Some photos are shown below.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The small around 5000 BTU units will hang off most windows ok and are not so heavy one person can’t take them in and out. I have a larger 10,000 plus size and I would recommend all the things Drywall posted. Even the smaller ones it helps to have a helper outside.

I have used scrap piece of closed cell foam to fill in below the unit and give it something to sit on and seal the gap. And then stuff some pieces in around it as those slide things never work that great.

You do want a slight angle, but I questioned the design when my fan blade was throwing water out of the pan and was told that is proper and that’s supposed to help keep the unit clean or something. I was about to drill a drain hole when I found out that was ok. At least I left it that way and it hasn’t hurt it.

They come with two screws to hold the window down and I see most people don’t put them in and rely on the tight window to hold down on the unit. I think building a little shelf isn’t a bad idea if you can.

Thanks DWI, Bud - I really appreciate the help.

Truth is, I chickened out and took it back. It has rained so much I haven't needed it very often. I've been sick and just haven't had the strength to work on it - I didn't want to get half way through and not be able to finish.

Thanks DWI, Bud - I really appreciate the help.

Truth is, I chickened out and took it back. It has rained so much I haven't needed it very often. I've been sick and just haven't had the strength to work on it - I didn't want to get half way through and not be able to finish.
That's to bad but knowing your limits is half the battle.

Thanks. I had an iron infusion (sounds worse than it is) this week so hopefully I'll be back to feeling decent soon. If things go well I might even move within a few months - just as well I didn't put the unit in. :)

Latest posts

Back