Laundry water shutoffs question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

We are going to be getting a new washing machine in the coming days and have been looking at the shutoffs to it and wanting them replaced. I dont know if its a plumber job or I can handle it ( you guys have walked me through most problmes )

I have attatched some pictures. I als have red arrows going to what looks like would be where I could loosen it with a wrench and purchase a new one for the hot and cold. They just looks old and seized and want some new ones there.

Actually I know the cold is pretty seized:D

IS this somethign I can do, and do they still make parts like that? I assume if they do I would wrap the treads with teflone taps and some pipe dope. Here are the pictures

Thanks for help guys, you all have been a huge help to me

tap 1.jpg

tap 2.jpg

Yes and replace them with ball valves with teflon tape. I have never seen those clamp on saddles before. It will be interesting to see what the pros say about those.

Thans neal they will have the ball valves one with the spot to connect a washing machine hose?

What you have are the old school gate valves ... YES, you can replace them easily using a superior design: ball valves. This is a simple remove and replace exercise ... just make sure you use Teflon tape and tighten appropriately. (Most people don't realize the "feel" of a properly tightened fitting is a learned skill)

http://www.americanvalve.com/plumbing/utility/wm75lqt.html

Also, replace those black supply hoses with braided metal hoses. The number one cause of flood damage in houses is burst washing machine supply hoses!

BALL.jpg

Thanks again for the help guys I appreciate it very much, I will also pick up a couple hoses toddy.

just a question what are those plastic rings for exactly?

Jeremy

Thanks Neal, they kind of look similar dont they? I am sure I saw them at the hardware store and thats what the kind of looks like

That plastic part on those taps would be for a counter to tighten them up to the countertop right?

Yes, you will find taps that look just like yoiur old ones, with a ball valve. they are a lot less problem.

Cheers Neal I appreciate it.

One last question to ask would you maybe a have a pic of what they would look like. It will be my luck when I am in there and don't get the right ones and have to listen to the wife say " Should have just ask that guy on the site for a picture or a link for the right ones",lol

I can hear it now. :rofl:

Thanks again Fellas for the patience and help. Truly some great people that have no problems helping out guys:beer:

Sorry for the confusion ... the pic I provided is for ball valves which go into a washing machine outlet box. There are separate valves which would work for your application.

BOX.jpg

BIB 1.JPG

Thanks again guys, much appreciated. I thought that was them :)

no problem if you ask the guy in the store. Show him your pic and tell him that you want to replace with ball valves. He will give you the right stuff.

If you don't trust the sales help in the big box store, go to a plumbing supply place.

edit: oops, I didn't see page two before posting this...but it's still good advice.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys, much appreciated. Im going to grand the parts on Friday or Saturday.

one thing I noticed is it looks like the fella before me used pipe dope on the hot, on the cold its teflon tape for sure. Will the one with the dope put up a little more fight?

Im hoping I can loosen it off somewhat easily with a wrench. Does anybody have any tips if seems stuck? maybe heating it slightly with a torch?

Again any tips are very much welcomed guys.

Jeremy

Also Neal what is a hammer arrester?

Don't know about the heat question but 2 wrenches for sure. And the trick with two wrenches is to configer them on the unit so you can squeese them with one hand and then get two hands on them.

YES, the pipe dope will typically resist more than Teflon tape. The dope is usually more effective at sealing the threads but tape is faster and often effective.

You can heat the valve body a bit with a torch and the pipe dope will loosen readily. Just know the heating will probably kill the valve washers so they have to be replaced if you want to keep the valves for future uses.

Villa, if you want not to damage a valve when heating like you would when soldering you remove the guts out of said valve.

Latest posts

Back