Need help identifying the types of gutter systems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanigator

Reaction score
Please see the attached photo.

In addition, once a gutter system is installed, is it even possible to change it entirely if it's proven to be lousy, or is it a matter of whether such renovation decisions are too cost prohibitive?

Thanks in advance for your input.

IMG_20170902_182714.jpg

I'm not sure what you are asking but I presume that photo is from your house looking at a neighbor's. Your neighbor has the standard add on pre-formed gutters that are put on millions of homes nation wide.
It appears your home has a built in boxed gutter system that the builder made when he built the house. Are you saying that your system isn't working? If you're looking at replacing your system we would need more photos. It might require a total rebuild of your overhang which may not fit into the look of the house. ie: more photos.

Dave Mason

Of the three roofs in the photo, "S Pan" spanish tile, architectural asphalt, or cement tile, which gutter system are you inquiring about?

I'm not sure what you are asking but I presume that photo is from your house looking at a neighbor's. Your neighbor has the standard add on pre-formed gutters that are put on millions of homes nation wide.
It appears your home has a built in boxed gutter system that the builder made when he built the house. Are you saying that your system isn't working? If you're looking at replacing your system we would need more photos. It might require a total rebuild of your overhang which may not fit into the look of the house. ie: more photos.

Dave Mason

Yes, it's from my house looking at a neighbor's. It's been leaking quite often, and sick of replacing gutter board every few years, not to mention the potential of the water leaking into the drywall internally (I believe it's already leaking through a window at a spot).

You've mentioned "a total rebuild" of the overhang. What kind of additional photos are you looking for? Also, please tell me more about the potential implications of the overhang rebuild, as I'm having difficulties researching on the internet.

Thanks again!

Two entirely different systems, three different methods of attachment. So which one are you asking about?

Yes, it's from my house looking at a neighbor's. It's been leaking quite often, and sick of replacing gutter board every few years, not to mention the potential of the water leaking into the drywall internally (I believe it's already leaking through a window at a spot).

You've mentioned "a total rebuild" of the overhang. What kind of additional photos are you looking for? Also, please tell me more about the potential implications of the overhang rebuild, as I'm having difficulties researching on the internet.

Thanks again!

OK, then if you've rebuilt in the past then you should be replacing the gutter boards with PVC boards (AZEK or similar), not wood. That would solve the rot problem permanently. As for the leaking, the gutter needs to be properly lined and sealed. This is a doable solution and will keep with the architecture of your home. Trying to add one of the commercial gutter systems to your home would probably require a lot more work and a possible reconfiguration of your roof edge. I'm guessing that you're not in a heavy snow/freezing zone so you wouldn't have that to contend with.

Dave Mason

Latest posts

Back