DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Hanging a new light fixture help

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM  
ActuariallySpeaking
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok we haven't turned the power back on (need to go buy lightbulbs) but here is the partially done result! Looping the copper wires around the ground was by far the hardest part, probably because the wires weren't super long (holding up the heavy fixture, sneaking in a screwdriver in a tight spot and keeping the wires wrapped) Next time, even though it will be a pain, (if I ever need to assemble a chandelier again) I will assemble AFTER the base is installed. Heavy light fixture + 6 months pregnant = cranky woman. Now time to add moulding, (the ceiling was textured, so that's new too!), paint and voila! Hubs wants to line the closet with cedar but we'll see. Thanks everyone for helping me give my future princess a very awesome room

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180108_164031.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	18520  

Last edited by ActuariallySpeaking; 01-09-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:36 AM  
afjes_2016
Established Member
Liked 128 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 134

ActuariallySpeaking: I am a day or two behind on this post but quite honestly I am a bit concerned about hanging that chandelier (seems pretty heavy) in just looking at the pictures. That ceiling box I do not believe is rated for the weight of that chandelier - those ears may not hold the weight. Any idea of what that chandelier weighs?

Also upon looking at the chandelier (pics) I do not see any markings of UL approved. It says it is made in china but it could still be UL approved. If it is not UL approved I would think twice about using it.

To the OP (O.riginal P.oster to this thread/topic).

If at any time you do not feel confident enough to perform a trouble shooting method that I suggest or feel you may not have the experience or comfort level to do so please ask questions before proceeding.
Electricity is dangerous and if not handled properly can cause serious injury or worse!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:49 AM  
ActuariallySpeaking
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afjes_2016 View Post
ActuariallySpeaking: I am a day or two behind on this post but quite honestly I am a bit concerned about hanging that chandelier (seems pretty heavy) in just looking at the pictures. That ceiling box I do not believe is rated for the weight of that chandelier - those ears may not hold the weight. Any idea of what that chandelier weighs?

Also upon looking at the chandelier (pics) I do not see any markings of UL approved. It says it is made in china but it could still be UL approved. If it is not UL approved I would think twice about using it.
We did install a new brace in the ceiling that was rated for a 90 lb. fixture, and it weighs about 14 lbs. I will do some research about it being UL approved.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
Liked 176 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallySpeaking View Post
rated for a 90 lb. fixture,

14 lbs.
So, a safety factor of over 6.
If 90# is the working load, the ultimate strength can be quite a bit higher.
The industry-wide safety factor is 4 unless there's a personnel hazard in which case it can be 10 or more.

If falling will land it on a table, I'd leave it.

If it fails gracefully, like by sagging first, I'd leave it.

Regarding UL, there was a 13 watt light fixture at IKEA that recommended the HO use wire rated for 105C. For a 13w fixture?

So I e-mailed UL about this.
This should have put the ball in UL's court but the guy wanted me to go back to IKEA and get more data. Not happening!
Maybe he was making me a job offer. . . ?

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 01-09-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:27 PM  
afjes_2016
Established Member
Liked 128 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallySpeaking View Post
We did install a new brace in the ceiling that was rated for a 90 lb. fixture, and it weighs about 14 lbs. I will do some research about it being UL approved.
Ok, I understand you installed a new brace in the ceiling but the issue is and I am only saying this for your safety that the box does not seem to be rated for heavy fixtures. Those ears over time with a heavy weight like a chandelier may tend to bend and possibly break and the chandelier may fall. The brace will still be up there nice and secure but those ears may snap off.

Please see picture of a fan rated box.
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan box.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	18524  

To the OP (O.riginal P.oster to this thread/topic).

If at any time you do not feel confident enough to perform a trouble shooting method that I suggest or feel you may not have the experience or comfort level to do so please ask questions before proceeding.
Electricity is dangerous and if not handled properly can cause serious injury or worse!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:41 PM  
ActuariallySpeaking
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry I'm a bit delayed in responding- I've been on the road! But, we purchased a box/brace kit for a ceiling fan, so the box was replaced as well! Thank you for your concern!

nealtw Likes This