Replacing Subfloor in the Bathroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYCdb

Reaction score
The saga of my slowly moving cabin renovation continues to the bathroom. Originally there was some softness near the toilet from water damage. I pulled back the vinyl tiles, then removes the water damaged plywood underneath. Below that plywood was tongue and groove flooring that was damaged near the toilet, but otherwise fine. I removed the damaged planks and found another layer of plywood (Looks like 3/8") sitting on the joists that wasn't damaged. Looked at the joists from the crawlspace and they don't appear to be damaged.

My question is can I patch the area where i removed the planks with plywood and then go over the patch and T&G flooring with cement board before tiling?

Alternatively should I just rip out the T&G and put a new layer of plywood sub floor down or take it down to the joists?

How high will the step-up be with all these extra layers.

How high will the step-up be with all these extra layers.

I'm not sure what "step up" is, but the adjoining room is the kitchen which currently is tiled similarly to what I'm planning on doing in the bath, so I'm anticipating no difference in height. If that's not what step up refers to let me know.

Generally, there are just specific areas that are successively layered with subfloor material, which results in a higher elevation, floor too floor, but apparently someone has gone to a lot of trouble and expense in your case.

Latest posts

Back