Is there a mistake in this? fan/light combo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
Please take a look at this pdf:
http://www.airkinglimited.com/instructions/ASLCIO.pdf
page 3 top left (1 & 1a): "wiring fan/light independently". It talks about switch, not switches. It talks about having 2 hot/black leads. But only a single switch. How does two black leads allow me to control the fan and light independently?

It seems there must be a diff because section 2 & 2A (same page 3) talk about wire fan/light together. Is there difference? aside from the extra black/hot lead?

I really hope I'm missing something because, I bought this sucker -- and reallhy don't want the fan on every time I turn on the light. And don't want to purchase another fixture...

Ohhh, this is too good: please someone with greater electrical chops than I have, enLIGHTen me. thanks

Poor wording has tripped you up ...

"Wiring Fan/Light Independently: Run wiring from an approved wall switch carrying the appropriate rating. One neutral (white), one ground (green or bare copper), and two hot (black lead connected to the switch). Secure the electrical wires to the housing with an approved electrical connector. Make sure you leave enough wiring in the box to make the connection to the fan’s receptacle.

1a. From where you have access to inside the fan’s junction box, connect the one white wire from the house to both the white wire from the fan’s light receptacle and the white wire from the fan’s exhaust receptacle. Connect the first black wire from the wall switch to the red wire from the fan’s light receptacle. Connect the second black wire from the switch to the fan’s exhaust receptacle."

Oooops ... As you suspected, you need a 2-gang box on the wall and TWO switches. You need wire which has one neutral, two power legs (usually black and red) and one ground. The wiring for it is simple. Here is a diagram you can use which is setup for a ceiling fan but works great for your problem ... Notice how each leg gets powered and how they actuate separate needs (light and fan). Notice the NEUTRAL going to your switches is coded with a BLACK stripe ... This allows fishing just one wire to the wall switch and the BLACK on white wire says "This is powered, not a neutral" While the diagram also shows power going off to another device, your situation will not involve that additional leg, so ignore it.

HAVE FUN!

Ceiling-Fan-Switch-Leg-drop-for-separate-control1.jpg

Beach, you are being too generous. Notwithstanding the double switch in a single gang setup, you still need each leg powered separately, yes? You, therefore, need two switches. Honestly, the Chinese guy who did the writeup just made a mistake ... and the proofreader missed it too.

:D

What you need is a switch as I noted. You'll have one house power leg coming into the switch and two switched power legs going out to the fan/light.
For both at the same time it's one house power leg into the switch and one switched power leg to the combined fan and light conductors.
As I read the instructions it's pretty clear. I don't see the confusion.

Well; I would install another box and use a timer instead of a regular switch and get in the habbit of setting it at 30+min. when using the shower.

thanks callmeVilla and beachguy. I may still occasionally think water flows uphill, but my intuition (common sense?) was right.

Good news is since this is a replacement light -- I've already got two switches and cables installed and run to the location. And much like the diagram, I do have another light at the end of the line.

Once I popped the cover on those switches I saw a "shared" black and bundled neutrals in the gang box. Trusted my intuition that that was a older way of wiring (I'd read somewhere that two wires on a terminal is now frowned upon), plotted how to get the end light in the mix, wired everything up (abandoning one of the neutrals from the dual gang switches), and it works.

Had a bit of a time getting the wires tucked inside the fan box (what with the third set continuing on to the end light.

On to the shower fixtures...teflon tape...aauuuggghhh. this dope's gonna use dope.

Glad you got the wiring straightened out! I'd love to see pictures of your project when you're finished! (Ok, I'd love to see pictures along the way too- I love pictures).

Back