DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Adding untreated stud next to pressure treated stud

Old 01-25-2016, 06:49 PM  
dimme
Default Adding untreated stud next to pressure treated stud

I had someone replace a small 6 foot section of Stucco in my 1 story home. Some of the framing also need to be replaced this was all do to a very old leak, from before we owned the home. The stucco guy replaced 3 studs with pressure treated 2x4s he said it was better and he seems to know what he is talking about. I want to sister in a stud using non pressure treated wood next to one of the pressure treated one to make it easer to install the sheetrock. (it is in the corner on the room) Is it OK to put the stud right next to the pressure treated one and nail them together. The wood is new and is still a little damp. Or do I need to leave a small space, I am reluctant to leave a small space because I will only be able to toe nail on one side.
Thanks

Old 01-25-2016, 07:01 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2755 Times on 2421 Posts
Likes Given: 4508

You are talking about drywall backing and nailing it there is fine. When removing rot or mold, you never usually get it all so it is a good idea to treat all the old wood in the area. So if you have discolored wood still open it would be a good idea to make sure. End grain treatment can be bought by the quart and it paints like water.