Home Furnace Strange Behaviour

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanigator

Reaction score
I have been hearing irregular clicking and water dripping sounds with my furnace at home lately. I am having trouble finding out the exact model of the furnace system, but I do know that the type of furnace is steam + water system based on the fact that the house is built in 1992. I'm not sure if I'm giving enough details for any insights for the problem, but any insights or requests for more information is most certainly welcome.

Welcome StanIGator:
A furnace built in the 90's would possibly be a condensing furnace; the 90+ efficiency caused the flue to condense water which drained back on the furnace. It should be attached to a drain or have a condensate pump to rid the condensed water.
If yours is a boiler (hence the steam and water) then you probably have a leak somewhere and you are hearing the fill valve turn on and off.
On either system, there could be a pipe rubbing a framing member and the friction makes a sound like dripping or clicking. The pipe would need some petroleum jelly at the point of the rub.
Glenn

There's a boiler right beside the gas furnace unit. We have replaced the water boiler around 3 years ago. It indeed sounds like a switch valve turning on and off loudly, which further confirms a leak speculation.

Back