Plumbing Question Of First Time Homeowner

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra

Reaction score
Hi, In November we moved into our first house...it is 11 years old, has 3 1/2 baths. Last week we had guests who used our guest shower for the first time since we have moved in. After the second or third shower within 2 hours, water started leaking from our wood paneled ceiling just below the tub. I noticed the cloth shower curtain outside of it was wet and thought maybe the liner wasn't completely closed....would it that cause leak from our ceiling?
Also on the wall at the base of the tub there is some peeling paint.

Today,I was just checking it out and ran the water for10 minutes in the tub. Ceiling is dry but the tub was slowly draining and filling up...now I'm wondering if my guests didn't tell me that the tub was overflowing....and I will check in with them.

Any recommendations for clearing the drain and what else I should do?

We are first time homeowners so are really learning the basics of home maintenance...so basic details are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello Sandra and Welcome to the Forum:
We use a shower curtain liner (from Wal-Mart) that has suction cups to seal it to the end walls of the tub. That keeps the water inside the tub for us.
If the case is overflow the problem is most likely hair in the drain. Please don't tell any professional plumber I told you this but a dose of Liquid Plumber should cure that problem.
One other observation; does the bathroom have a vent fan to the outdoors. Showers cause a lot of accumulation of condensation which could run down and leak through. I hope one of these cures will work for you; let us know how it turns out.
Glenn

Back